Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
foxyleemoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

sagemcom fast 3864v3 AC specifications

Hi.

Just signed up with Optus NBN. Little disappointed with stability and real speeds. Speed tests are great, but when actually watching Netflix I get drop outs. Tried to setup ethernet to fetch mighty and it wouldn't work. 

I'm considering buying a new modem/router.. but don't want to buy something of the same spec as the sagemcom fast 3864v3 AC. Can't find specification anywhere. 

8 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: sagemcom fast 3864v3 AC specifications

Sounds like you are on FTTN? What speed teir?

If you're not using ethernet to the fetch then Netflix drop outs are possibly your wifi setup. I'd suggest having another go. If you are on DHCP (auto) then switch to typing in the network settings (IP) manually. If you are on manual then switch to DHCP mode to see what happens.

FWIW the 3864 is specd similar to most top modems but its real world performance is not top teir. You can get plenty of recommendations of a good modem on whirlpool but my 2c would be the RT-AC68U. That said your issue may not be modem related - get the ethernet connection sorted as its a lot cheaper solution.

Peter Gillespie

foxyleemoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

My research has steered me towards the Asus rt-ac68u. 

I've also read on here and other forums that the sagemcom is rubbish. Our house has a lot of devices connected at once. 

RobPergo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I also think the Sagemcom modem is rubbish. Driving me crazy. If I get the Asus rt-ac68u does it have to be bridged to the Sagemcom modem. I've read that you can't connect the landline to a modem othert than the Optus supplied modem.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@foxyleemoo

You've read wrong then. You must use the Optus supplied modem in the mix if you want to use the landline.

Two options:

1) Bridge another modem.

2) (My prefered) Usable for HFC or FTTP but get a cheap switch. set the optus modem up a a dum unit that has everything turn off (wifi, dhcp etc.) and give it a new ip address (192.168.0.77). Then set your main modem up fully as you want (give it your ip of 192.168.0.1). Connect both units to the switch and the switch to the wan. plug a land line in to the optus modem and you should get a dial tone (then forget it exists).

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

foxyleemoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

thanks for the info.

I'm not interested in using phone landline.

So does that mean the Asus dsl-ac68u will be easir to setup and be able to be used stand alone?

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You have to plug the Optus modem in once to set up the initial connection. After that if you don't need any land line then just disconnect it and plug in the Asus (use the WAN port) 

You're good to go

Peter Gillespie

foxyleemoo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Awesome.

Thanks

kevy_73
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The modem appears problematic as ping will randomly drop out for both ethernet and wifi on both 2.4 and 5G band.

It is not an NBN issue and more of the local modem issue. See Stats below after I reset the Stats and going through Live Chat support with Optus.Sagemcom_stats.jpg