cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

router problems

Hi I am new to this so please be patient with me. I am connected to the nbn by fttc, the sagamcom router supplied by optus is useless,but I need the landline connection for our phone. I have a nighthawk d7000  which is a lot more powerful and stable so I want to connect (or bridge) them together wirelessly. Does anyone know how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: router problems

So first up can you get the internet up and running just using the NightHawk? 

If so then the rest should be easy.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

good day Peter

Yes I have got the internet on the nighthawk but no phone connection, so I thought (if it can be done] put the sagamcom in the kitchen for the phone and connect the 2 routers wirelessly. Would that work? and how would i do it? And thanks for replying to my 1st  Question. Regards roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I have solutions for other NBN technologies (HFC/FTTP) but am not sure how it works on FTTC. Essentially though for VOIP phone you must have the Optus modem in the mix. I would try testing out more basic configurations first before comming to a complete answer.

1. Just use wired for the test. Shut off Optus internet settings / wifi etc. and hard code LAN IP address.

2. Modems (and phone) in same the same room side by side.

3. PLug the WAN port of the Optus modem into the LAN port of the Night Hawk

4. Plug the phone into the Optus Modem. Do you get a dial tone?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

i have done as much as i can, but do not understand no1  use wired for the test. Shut off Optus internet settings / wifi etc. and hard code LAN IP address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You might need someone there to help step through that then. Its not overly difficult but you do need to be familiar with the options. I'm afraid I can't step you through it as I'm not sure of the end setup (not having FTTC) and the trial and error part would take a bit of direct fiddling.

All I'm really suggesting with 1 is you can do all your testing with all the devices side by side. Just makes it easer to get a base line working (a dial tone and the internet) that you can then adapt to put equipment where it finally ends up.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter Have been doing some playing around and research and have got a dial tone on phone. All i need to do now is connect them wirelessly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter just a short note to say thankyou for all your help with problem. regards roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Great effort. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors