Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
tsauravm
New Contributor
New Contributor

"More work required" NBN HFC Connection

So, I am moving into new apartment and found that NBN is not available at that place. When I check from NBN website it says "As a result of a global equipment and component shortage, we are not currently taking connection orders for your premises". But, when I check for other units 1 to 5 in same building they are connected to NBN. So I am not sure what is the issue here and how only that unit is not connected to NBN.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: "More work required" NBN HFC Connection

Was there a previous tenant in the new appartment? If so they may have taken the NBN cable modem with them when they left (not unheard of).
If the previous tenant never needed NBN they would not have had it installed and therefore no equipment received or apartment specific work done.
0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Hey @tsauravm, thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, you would be impacted by this shortage if NBN HFC has never been connected at your apartment address.

NBN Co has advised us that due to manufacturing constraints, they are unable to support orders for HFC connections. This means we are unable to process your order at this time. However, we can check what alternative options are available at your address. In this case, we welcome you to utilise our 24/7 Messaging Service via the My Optus App. Alternatively, if you want to wait NBN is providing updates on when these orders will recommence. 

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

NBN does not have enough HFC modems to continue hooking up new customers and has in theory just enough to support the existing HFC customers.

No one has any idea when this will be resolved and is due to world wide chip shortages affecting allot of different companies/areas. It is starting to affect car manufacturers.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As mentioned, you're out of luck for a few months tsauravm.

You'll possibly need to go to Optus 4G home internet. Go the 24 month plan as the modem is included. Costs nothing to cancel the plan any time (except the residual for the modem which will be less than if you buy it up front)

Alternatively see if you can find a person in one of the neighbouring flats that will let you plug a 20m CAT5 cable into their modem back to a switch in your house. Long shot but maybe? You could offer to pay for their internet plan while sharing it.
0 Kudos