Searching...

pathetic slow nbn download speed

jai1988

hi i signed up to the 100mbps plan and the first week was going good getting around 85-90mbps now after that i am seeing speeds of around 2.5-3.5mbps i have called multiple times and am getting sick and tired of being told to reset my modem it also sounds like they have no idea what is going on as they cant tell me when the problem will be fixed. i wish i just stuck with the slo but faster adsl at least i could watch a youtube video without buffering every 5 seconds. anyone else have this issue.

Re: pathetic slow nbn download speed

benschued

Same here, its awful. Congestion im told, no plans to fix it.

jai1988

yep i get told the same thing i will be canceling the contract bloody pethetic

Highlighted

CrowdMan00

I signed up the NBN at the 100/40 plan in December 2016 and the story started well, but is now a near disaster.  I received the email from NBN Co on 30th November 2016 letting me know that NBN was now available in my area.  I investigated options from multiple carriers and decided to stay with Optus for the speed and unlimited download in the Entertainment Plus pack at $140 / month for up to 100/40.  The NBN tech arrived as scheduled and hooked up the NBN and the difference from the old ADSL 2 was dramatic at the start.  Over the next three weeks it slowed to the point of stopping, which meant no internet and no home phone.  I registered the fault with Optus and the NBN tech came a week later as scheduled; he even rang the day before to ask about the problem so he knew a bit more about what he would be looking at.  He replaced the underground cable to the house, but said the signal at the street was very poor and I was unlikely to get any internet.  I did get a connection, but it failed again while the tech was still here.  I could hear him arguing with the network telling them it didn't work and that the problem was between the network and the connection in the street.  However, because they detected life (presumably a ping), they closed the case, as it was about the presence of signal, not speed or strength.  I rang Optus while the tech was still here to say the problem was not fixed and I was told I'd hear from NBN within 24-48 hours.  After 48 hours I received a message to say NBN had to send a tech to investigate the problem.  I asked why and I later (much later) found out that it was because the original case was closed and I was at the back of the line again, which meant another week wait.  Mysteriously the next day, the NBN came to life and I had incredible speeds of 95/38.  It was incredible and just about everything I could expect of the NBN.  Unfortunately the speed slowed again and stopped altogether the day before the second tech arrived.  Not surprisingly, he said the fault was between the street and the exchange and I would hear something in 24-48 hours from NBN.  I received a text to say problem resolved, but my speeds were around 10/30 (yes, 10/30).  I responded to say it wasn't fixed and the issue of speed came back into the conversations, as somehow the previous 4 customer service officers didn't seem to document that element of the conversations.  The case manager was very helpful and stepped through a number of solutions, including bypassing the sagecom router, which had no effect.  The high latency also indicated a problem with the service and he was going to follow up the problem with NBN.  Luckily I had done multiple speed checks at various points across each day (including morning, midday, afternoon, and late night), which are retained on your account (good to know).  The NBN response was that the problem was due to congestion and the speed would not improve.  I asked why I was able to get high speed for a couple of days, but that was described as some sort of window that was not the norm.  Basically now, apart from a couple of speed tests at around 20-22/35, my download speed sits between 2.6 - 15 Mbps at any time of the day, and I am expected to accept that.  If NBN state the speed in my area won't improve due to congestion, how can 100/40 or even 50/20 plans be sold when it cant be delivered.  Í signed up within a month of notification, so the problem must only get worse as more people subscribe.  I said to the Optus operator that I might as well reduce my plan, as I can't get the service for which I am paying, but was told there was nothing that could be done at this time.  When speaking to yet another Optus department, I was told that I'd have to wait for the service to improve.  I asked what that meant and received the same statement repeated.  I then asked if that meant infrastructure updates or improvements to the exchange, but the answer was 'I don't know'.  So I could be waiting some years for a network upgrade in my area and still pay $140 / month for my service.  When I said dropping to the 25/ plan might be a better option, I was advised that I'd get slower speeds under that plan, slower than 2.6 Mbps??  OMG!  I suggested that one of my options would be to go to a cheap provider, which I had intentionally avoided to this point.  I thought if I'm getting very poor service, I might as well pay half the price.  I was then advised that there would be a cancellation fee.  I suggested I would not pay a cancellation fee as Optus have not provided anywhere near the service I was offered, nor did they recommend a lower plan due to congestion in my area, while I have still paid the bills as invoiced.  I can't understand that if it is known the high speeds are not available in my area, why high speed plans are still being sold in my area.  By the way, the new Fetch TV box (Mighty) that came with the Entertainment Plus plan apparently has security protocol incompatibilities with my TV, which I didn't know until we tried to use it.  The old Fetch, which was returned, worked fine, but the new one, not so hot.  Am I just being impatient and ungrateful or do I have just cause to believe I have been let down by the NBN Co (nothing to do with Optus), but also by Optus, as after 15+ years as a customer, I'm essentially being told to suck it up, as there's nothing they could do.  Why sell the product if there's nothing they can do.  If I didn't pay my bill, Optus would be all over me; if I only did 15% of my work, I'd be fired, but it's okay for Optus to take $140 / month for less than half the service.  Call me strange, but that doesn't seem right.  I am sure NBN works in many areas and works well, however the modified roll out from FTTP to FTTN has created a significant divide in levels of service.  My advice, if you live in the Mulgrave area in Victoria DO NOT SIGN UP FOR NBN.  If you do, do not go for a high speed plan, it won't happen.  By the way, that download speed of 2.6 - 15 Mbps includes the speed boost option.

CrowdMan00

Just did another speed test using the Singtel Optus (Ookla) site. 5.11 Mbps download and 37.33 Mbps upload.

benschued

Very poor. Im in Ballarat and had a solid 94mbps connection until about christmas last year then all of a sudden BAM! 2.4mbps in the peak. Awful! fetch recordings failing, bandwidth errors on fetch, cant even stream Stan. Call Optus told congestion no plans to fix and may as well go to another provider. They have the EPL so kind of hamstrung, thanks Optus! Fix it!

CrowdMan00

Yes, very poor.  How has congestion increased that much in a matter of weeks; we had 90+ speeds, but both of us appear to have dropped to below 5 Mbps.  You appear to have a very similar situation to me.  I'd like to hear how your issue progresses.  I appreciate that Optus are hamstrung by NBN Co, as would any retailer be hamstrung.  However, my question to Optus was how vigorously they advocated the case to NBN on behalf of curent and future customers.  Another issue is the lack of interest in managing plans when the product they offer, and for which we pay, is not and can not be provided.

CrowdMan00

Just letting eveyone know that my rocket like $140 per month speed is currently 3.55 Mbps download and 37.69 Mbps upload.  Even around the other way would be attractive.

Dazzler

Yes. I just posted about the same issue. Should have read your post first. Are you in Perth northern suburbs by any chance. Optus NBN poor for 3 months now. 

Why do they sell the product if they can not offer the service? Why don't they buy bandwidth from another provider, similar to an onseller like Exetel, to use while they do maintenance or upgrades?

They are happy to take my money but not provide the service. Its like buying a dozen apples in the shop and only getting six.

Poor. 

slattery

Add me to the slow down list. I am on FTTP NBN here in 3978 in a new estate and am struggling to get 25 mbps in peak times with a ping up to 150 when I am paying for a 100/40 service.

Iw as told there are no plans at this time to upgrade the infrastructure in my area. My contract expires on 27/7/2017 and I am out of here.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
13 Kudos
12 Kudos