Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

optus sagemcom f@st 5366 TN portforwarding for Synology NAS

Hi folks,

I just got hocked up to FTC NBN yesterday and received the sagemcom f@st 5366 TN router. I am a bit annoyed by the DNS hijack of the router, but this is the lesser of my problems.

I own a Synology DS216+ NAS storage that I set up previously as an audiostation and also host a wiki through a webstatstion package. To be directed to the station I am using Synology's DDNS that is propted from the NAS software (eg. xxxx.mydns.me).  I also have purchased a SSL cetrificated so that station could only be contacted through https. Portforwarding with my pre-NBN setup and my ASUS RT-AC56S router was easy. The NAS was negotiating the ports with the router automatically.

This does not work with the new sagemcom f@st 5366 TN router. I have tried to manually add the required ports in the sagemcom f@st 5366 TN router:

Eg.

Service: DSM;  Protocol: TCP; External Host: *;  Internal Host: 192.168.0.7; External Port: 5001; Internal Port: 5001

I have set up all releavant Port forwarding like above according to Synology's site:  https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Network/What_network_ports_are_used_by...

However, although the DDNS is pointing to my current IP I cannot reach my NAS from outside of my network??

Do I miss something or do I have to change my system and bridge the  sagemcom f@st 5366 TN to my old ASUS router?

Appreciate help and advice.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: optus sagemcom f@st 5366 TN portforwarding for Synology NAS

There are known problems accessing local network externally, and its been mentioned here in the main 5366 thread.

You should be able to connect your Asus directly to the NBN box using automatic IP WAN setting as I do with my RT-N66U.

If you need to use the 5366 for Optus VoIP you can have it behind the Asus you just need to port forward 5060-5061 UDP & TCP, and disable SIP Passthrough on the Asus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the anwser. I have just realise that I can access my NAS externally using for example my mobile. It appears that the internal loopback using the url is just not working.

I probably can work with that situation. I prefer to simplify my set-up and use my VPN to access a different DNS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue in connecting to my Synology NAS from the internet. I have done port forwarding for port 5000. When I try to access the diskstation using myname.diskstation.me:5000 , I don't get my login page. I checked the ddns and the ip address is correct. I just don't know what to do next.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@CoachSam wrote:

I have the same issue in connecting to my Synology NAS from the internet..

What firmware version do you have?  The remote access problem has been discussed a lot in the main thread but that was for version SG4Y1T000085 and SG4Y1T000105 is now available and I don't know if that situation has changes at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m on version 105.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

All I can suggest then is to add your issue & firmware version to the main thread as that should be your best chance of making Optus aware of your specific issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. will do
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I discovered something interesting. If I use the url outside of my local network, I can access my NAS, but I can't access my NAS using the url internally, only can access it via the ip address. I would assume it's a DNS issue?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@CoachSam wrote:

I discovered something interesting. If I use the url outside of my local network, I can access my NAS, but I can't access my NAS using the url internally, only can access it via the ip address. I would assume it's a DNS issue?

Not DNS, but hairpinning/NAT loopback which is discussed in the main thread.