Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Saint43
Occasional Contributor

Re: optus nbn modem internet drop outs

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input.  Optus came out and replaced the router, the technician had seen many similar cases and suspected it was the flacky Sagemcom and that if it happened again to connect by desktop PC directly to the NBN Arris Box. The router worked OK for sometime. Then in the evening it started dropping out and eventually lost connection.  The same situation the next morning and decided to connect directly to the NBN box (as suggested by the technician and your goodself). At once my link to the internet was established, steady and at good speed. After 1 hour, I disconnected and relinked via the Sagemcom to test it out. Again my PC failed to connect to the internet quickly and experienced the same dropouts. Optus said they're going to send me another replacement router (3rd one) to try.  Somehow, I do not have much faith in it anymore.  Although I must admit my phone line and WiFi thru the Sagemcom has never failed.

Do you have any solution? I was thinking of getting an ethernet splitter or switch and attach to the cable from the NBN box and then connect the Sagemcom to one port of the splitter/switch to provide phone and WiFi service and connect my desktop PC to another port to provide Lan access. Is this a viable solution for my situation?  Looking forward to your response. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Should work fine.

Just use the WAN port (different colour) in the SageCom. Set your IP addresses so they don't clash.

I did this too with a cheap switch that just split the NBN cable to other devices.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Peter, thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Optus has sent me another of their Sagemcom F@ST 3864V3 router (3rd one) to try.  As before it worked initially when first connected but the Lan started dropping off after a day or two.  Eventually only the phone and Wifi worked consistently.

Had to seek my own solution and as suggested before bought a TP-Link Switch.  Here are the steps:  

1. Connected the NBN (red) cable to  a port on the Switch.

2. To get internet on Lan, connected an ethernet (yellow) cable from another port on the Switch directly to my desktop PC, bypassing the Sagemcom router. 

3. To get phone & WiFi, connected another ethernet (yellow) cable from another port on the Switch to the Wan port on the Sagemcom router.

Everything worked fine after that. Effectively I'm not using Optus' Sagemcom Lan to connect to the internet but directly to the NBN box via the Switch.

Optus should look at replacing all their Sagemcom routers with something more reliable and avoid unnecessary headaches and less work for their technical support staff.