Searching...
Highlighted

optus nbn modem internet drop outs

rgie

I have the optus nbn modem - the sagemcom black version. The wi fi works fine but my desktop computer is connected to the modem by ethernet. The internet drops out regularly to my destop (not wi fi though) and the only way that I have found to get the connection back is move the ethernet cord to another LAN connection on the modem. Sometimes this takes 3 to 4 disconnection/re-connections before the internet comes back.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a better solution? I can't change the modem because I use the voip connection for the landline and I understand that I will not be able to use the landline phone if I use a non optus modem.

Re: optus nbn modem internet drop outs

petergdownload

So you're saying when the PC drops out the wifi is still working?

This suggests and issue with the modem, cat5 cable or PC. 

1) Can you try a different cable?

2) Next time instead of resetting the modem try turning the PC on and off a few times to see if that fixes the issue too (would suggest a PC issue)

But otherwise I'd probably ask for a replacement modem? Do you have the two box router/modem setup? What NBN Type?

Peter Gillespie

Sean_G

Having the same issues since optus recieing my replacement modem the  Black Sagemcom Gateway F@st 3864V3

WiFi connection is great however Ethernet. Changed cables. Run 

rgie

Thanks peter, I have already tried 3 different ethernet cables with the same result. I have already asked for and received a different modem from optus. I originally had the white sagemcom but had exactly the same issues. I had no trouble with the ethernet connection on my desktop and previous modem until I had to change over to the nbn and received these sagemcom modems. I have also re-booted the deskyop when the issue occurs but to no avail.

I dont know whether the problem is with the LAN ports on the optus modem or with my desktop. I do not have another desktop to try to pair with the modem to find out. A bit expensive to buy a new desktop on the offchance that that is the problem.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@rgie 

The major question is does the wifi work while the ethernet has stopped? Your OP suggests yes. Having swapped both the wires and the modem then the obvious conclusion is your desktop PC is malfunctioning. 

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Saint43

I have the same problem as rgie.

Was on Optus Cable internet but forced to change to NBN using HFC about 2 weeks ago.  They supplied the black Sagemcom Fast 3864v3 router connected to the NBN supplied Arris Connection Box.  My Wifi works perfectly everytime but my desktop PC (Windows 10) connected by ethernet cable to the Sagemcom router drops out frequently, sometimes in the middle of a session and sometimes when I first boot my PC.

Tried the following solutions:

• rebooting my PC.
  • Windows troubleshoot network / did "network reset".
  • changed the ethernet cable.
  • powered off the router and restarted.
  • Connected the ethernet cable to try each of the 4 yellow lan ports on the router.

All attempts were unsuccessful and the same intermittent issues persist.  As Wifi was working, I did SpeedTests on my smartphone and found that when the Ping was greater than 11ms, drop outs on the Lan would occur. Everytime the Lan worked the Ping was always less than 10 ms. 

Buying another more reputable router is no solution either as I have a landline on VOIP, and apparently that will not work with Optus.  Their Tech Support said a new router will be supplied if needed.  But worried the same issues will arise.

Has anyone solved this problem and had a replacement router that works?   

Saint43

PS: My PC, as well as WiFi, was working fine when connected to Optus Cable Internet. Then the Optus modem/router was a Netgear model.  All these dropouts only occur after changing to NBN and the Sagemcom router.

petergdownload

Drop outs can be an issue with NBN HFC (which is a totally different network and cable to Optus HFC.)

A different modem may help but it's possible you'll need to ask Optus to get the NBN to investigate your line.

Peter Gillespie

Saint43

Thanks petergdownload, Optus said they have monitored the line and did not see any dropouts. Also I've been checking the lights on the NBN Arris box and the Optus Sagemcom router. The 4 greenlights on the Arris connection box are always on and never even blink. On the Sagemcom router the appropriate lights are on, with the Lan light coming on when I boot my PC and goes off went I shutdown.  However I noticed when powering on the Sagemcom router, it took only 1+ minutes for the lights to come on initially, then lately it took a bit longer like 2 to 3 minutes, but today it took nearly 6+ minutes.  No sure whether that indicates the router has some issues.    

petergdownload

So the small NBN modem is on and all lights solid? That would mean the connection is in place.

Boot up time for the Sagecomm should be largely the same (as all the syncing with the internet has already been done by the NBN modem). Its interesting Optus are not seeing any drop outs (possibly they are seeing the signal to the NBN modem and that is remaining on).

I would be thinking your sagecom is perhaps at issue. One way to test would be to plug your PC directly into the NBN modem. (i.e. bypass the sagecom altogether.) You should still recieve the internet and can see if the dropp outs continue.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
37 Kudos
29 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos