cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: no answer from optus re if I have the premium router /modem or not

Silly, Thank you for this. I will check and get back to you regarding the type and hopefully you may tell me if i have the right modem for the job.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Technology used in your connection

"nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) has been used in your connection to the broadband access network.

Sillygogo,

Thanks for that. The site says I Have HFC.

So is this the right modem , firmware,hardware for my HFC NBN technology?

So is that fibre to the pavement,fibre to the node or OptusCableNBN all the way to the inside of my home?The Optus telephone personnel told me this was Optus NBN Cable.

Is this the best technology of NBN for non-businesses ?or is it only the lucky few that have better than HFC for residential?

I hope Dan_C and Jiefu can see this too. I don't know how to tag people to get them to see my messages on public forum yet.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Yep! it sure is!  @nothappyjanus. A tech will go out to install the NBN connection box. You may have heard it referred to as an NTD (Network termination device). That’s a Docsis 3.1 compatible Arris branded modem.

Docsis refers to a communications standard that's said to result in much faster speeds then that of its predecessor, 3.0. Think of it like the evolution of DSL - ADSL -1 - 2+ etc. I'm just paraphrasing an extract from an article written from NBN'sco perspective, DOCSIS 3.1- although they've acknowledge its speed uplift potential, in the short term, the focus will be on alleviating capacity and stability issues, Essentially, resulting in more downstream capacity for your buck. 

If NBN have included your suburb within in their NBN-HFC foot print, I'm afraid that’s what you’re stuck with. Persoally, I haven’t had an issue on my own NBN-HFC connection. I do experience the occasionally drop out; granted I’m at the end of my house and and are are thick concrete walls throughout my house.  

I do manage to get speeds of 10-15Mbps despite the walls, closed doors, and the distance I sit from the modem. I do need to switch back 2.4Ghz. As soon as I'm back in the living room, on 5Ghz, speeds do jump up to the 40+44 range.

There are alternatives to NBN. our 500GB 4G Optus Wireless plan has really taken off In popularity. You can expect speeds similar to what’s available on our mobile 4G network (no speed caps). Dan P

FYI - Use the @ symbol when you’d like to tag a community member. Type the first letters of our handle and you’ll see our display names highlighted. 

I hope any that of that helps. Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Dear @Dan_C  , thank you for your response and all your help. I appreciate it.You have done all you could but i am still very unhappy and will be speaking to the ombudsman and enquiring re legal recourse.

I was sold on going with Optus by being told i would get a "premium"modem with superior permormance given I was already on Optus Broadband cable for years. 

I was not given a "premium"modem and my performance is less than what i had in pre-nbn days. Somewhere, Optus has stolen my capacity to subsidise someone else. So i pay to get less service and performance.

I will not be recommending Optus to anyone and will be warning all who wish to go to be very careful. It seems Caveat Emptor is alive and well  when dealing with Optus.

I have you all to thank for helping me so much.

@SillyGogo  @Jiefu @foxyleemoo .

I will give you the kudos and solution testimonial  as i will to all the others.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi not happy, while I do not advocate for Optus in this, I can tell you that going to the ombudsman is a very complicated course of action. As I said previously, they are only legally responsible for hard-wired speeds and if your fault lies within the wireless speeds, then you are technically out on a limb. No two houses are the same and that is why wireless speeds cannot be defined. This does not take away from the less than adequate equipment, but when hard wired it does provide full maximum speed of the bandwidth purchased. This is why I always have one system in my house on a hard wire! HFC is something I am not fully conversant with, but I can say that I have two other Veteran friends who are with the T company and they also experience exactly the same as you, now some 18 months into contracts and with several tech visits and equipment changes. My guess, and it is a guess is that even they are stumped by this technology as from my friend's comments, they seem to blame the preceding technician for not doing something each time. As for speeds, they are between 15Mbps and 55Mbps almost weekly. Both said they had better without the NBN being part of it and they lost in the deal. So they are not happy either, but it is all that is available to them, so they persevere hoping for better.

My honest opinion, as Dan C said to have it all checked out and set up correctly by the technician. I would not pay for it though!!! This is not an easy fix situation, HFC is problematic and I would be very surprised if it was all fixed in one go. If your biggest problem relates to wireless speeds, then you will need more expert help, no matter where you go. The same rules apply to all ISPs regarding guaranteed speeds.  You may need to consider a Mesh network or WiFi extender.

Whatever your choices, I wish you luck and hope that you post your solution for others to benefit from.

Regards, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@nothappyjanus Now that we have established that you have the lastest optus HFC AC premium modem, the black one is a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz which is superior to the standard white modem, then what is the issue? are you not receiving the correct speed? Did Optus charged you extra to get the premium modem? What speed did you pay for? As explained by @Jiefu any ISPs, including Optus, can only quote the wire connection  speed as there are too many factors that can affect Wifi speed. Also as explained by @Dan_C we do not get to chose which NBN technology that we get, unless you want to pay and commission NBN to build a optic fibre to your house. NBN decided which area gets what technology and it is not upto the ISP (eg Optus).

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Evening, @SillyGogo 

@Ray_YC , sent through your details. I've passed back some info that'll he'll relay across to you over PM. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy