cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor nothappyjanus
Contributor

no answer from optus

I keep asking yet noone at optus can give me an answer.

I was promised a premium ac dual band sagemcom router as part of my bundle. What I received is the black optus branded fast sagemcom3*64 v3HF.

Is this the so-called AC i was promised and was touted on the internet and salespeople at optus on the phone , everywhere!

Noone could give me a part number at Optus  about this "premium Sagemcom AC router"

I have been told by others that i have been ripped off as my received router is not 801 ac as it should be! It is only b g and n.

Can anyone in the know please tell me and maybe send me a photo of the thing? Ie the real deal. I am very upset and will go to the ombudsman.

Thank you for your consideration.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: no answer from optus

Hi welcome to the forum, please let us know what type of internet do you have? From the optus website the current supplied modems are https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/modem-equipment-setup-user-guides-fixed-broadband?reque... 

I couldn't see the HF version that you are referring to, could you please confirm the model number? The black modem using is the 3864V2/3 AC, which sounds right.

The 3864V2 AC modem looks like this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wynnum/other-electronics-computers/optus-sagemcom-modem/1217038345

The 3864v3AC modem looks like this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macquarie-park/modems-routers/optus-nbn-modem-f-st-3864v3-ac/1212096...

As you can see they are both black and worth around $30 negotiable. Optus might have send you the wrong modem, give optus live chat and other go and work it out. I wouldn't waste my time with the TIO for $30. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor

Re: no answer from optus

Dear SillyGogo,

Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply. Yes my modem LOOKS like the v3 AC you have shown me ie three dimensional and not flat like the old one .

However, my modem does not say AC. It says Sagemecom F*st 3864 v3 HF and not Sagemcom Fast 3864 AC as you say.

my part numbers are sagmcom P/ No 253795799 

optus part number 2982012/50101 

dual band 2.4 and 5Gigahertz

I believe I am on optus nbn cable as I have an Arris NBN box and was on broadband cable for many years .

I could be mistaken but I believe that what I have is simply 801 b d g n type but NOT AC type and AC apparently is the dual modem that has simultaneous broadcasting in 2.4 and 5Gigahertz rather than just either 2 or 5 GhZ at a time.

It appears that  I have the  right covering but the software /hardware inside has been "dumbed down".  Bait and switch by Optus to get me to sign up for premium plan via promising premium modem/router.

OPEN TO ALL :To those that sent me private messages thank you but i cannot read them presently. something is wrong . i see them in my inbox but they wont open. Thank you anyway and I will recontact you again.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Re: no answer from optus re if I have the premium router /modem or not

SillyGogo, it appears I  have prematurely labelled  your response  a solution ie I see a tick now . haha, this is my first ever question on here.

I do however still look forward to any help you or any others  may give me. 

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi not happy, first of all, the pm messages are another PITA. If you look to the mid to upper right of your screen, you might see your message inbox count and a red number. That is where you can access your messages, eventually...! 

To the router, there is NO premium box with OPTUS, there is only p.o.s. 2.4 and p.o.s 2.4/5.0 AC Sagemcom. These are bt far the worst units available for any sort of NBN connection. The amount of complaints far outweighs the pat on the backs. Most people do not know enough about what they are missing out on and OPTUS takes full advantage of this. The truth is 2.4ghz should reach 300mhz, but Sagemcom can only reach 270mhz under optimal conditions in wireless mode. As for the 5ghz, so much tuning is required to get performance above this speed, but the range is short and you still lose out. I ad the first version of the AC router and whilst it was big black and chunky, it never seemed to have as many issues as this V3 model as I read about. 

I would certainly check your connections type, it sounds like you may have HCF if you are still connecting through the cable port. This could mean you may have an entirely wrong router. However, if you are fttn, then this would be correct and it may be faulty. It may be worth checking what plan you are connected with, the moderators here are helpful in regards to these things. It may be that the router is just plain FUBAR, and a new one will solve the issue. Something to remember, if you are not on FTTP, it is highly unlikely that you will get the highest speed plan (100) available, due to limitations of the network equipment. The highest speed I have known is 50Mbps or 5MBps, still good for streaming television.

On a last note, if you are not using the telephone service, consider a superior brand router, it does make a world of difference to the overall performance. Remember, OPTUS ONLY HAVE TO GUARANTEE A HARD WIRED SPEED, NOT WIRELESS.

I hope this answers something for you but certainly work with one of the moderators to check your service type, your plan and speed, and then to see if you have lucked out with a *moderated* router.

Dan C is the moderator I was trying to think of, he is a champ at following up with these problems.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
Highlighted
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Great reply @Jiefu , sounds like @nothappyjanus is using NBN HFC and a wrong modem could of been issued. Many moderators here are great and able to help out, shout out to @Dan_C. The 3864AC modem isn't great, its all depends on how many devices and what sort of coverage you are after. Like Jeff said above, it is worth getting a better modem for the NBN HFC if you are not need the home phone. 

Anyway, I would suggest you send a message to @Ray_YC , click on his name and select Send private message. Make sure that, there is a moderator tag on the profile before you send off your account. Introduce yourself and briefly describe the issue to Ray. 

If you are in Brisbane then PM me,  I have a spare 3864AC modem that you can borrow to test out and see if it makes any different. 

I've also esculated your post to the moderator for review. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, that’s super kind of you to say , @SillyGogo . Sadly,

my moderation days have come to a bitter sweet end.

You never know, I just might make a triumphant return. Until then, I bid thee fair well. 

If it’s any consolation, I can be found on the Optus Facebook and Twitter pages. You’re always welcome to reach out to me there @Jiefu

Just an update on the modems. A couple of months back. we launched a new version of the Sagemcom modem. They’re the same in appearance, but we’ve upgraded the firmware to version 10.7 (from memory). WiFi stability has said to have been markedly improved. I haven’t had a chance to give it a whirl . 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Dan, I would like to thank you for all the help and support you have given me during my time with OPTUS NBN. You were the go-to man in my books for serious help and a 5 Star operator. The community has one less bright star, for now, however, I understand that there are reasons of your own for the decision and I respect that. You are You and I am Me as they say.! (Anc Chinese Prov) While I do not have NBN with OPTUS anymore, my mobile service and Mob Wifi is and I like to help with what I remember works also.  Interesting to note that there had been a new modem/router, but unless they offer an alternative with premium service like other ISP's I truly believe Tach savvy users will walk to the ISP's who provide this type of service, Still No point in head banging the same old story, they do not listen as I tried for two years.

I wish you well and good fortune mate, enjoy your break from the tech insanity world of Sagemcom abuse LoL

Take care, Regards, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@Dan_C Thank you for all your help, its always been great having you around. I bet it is because you still using that IOS thing caused the moved. Anyhow, might catch you at the Face and Twitch things when I upgrade my knowlege into those platforms. 

Hmm, what is the new modem? is it the V3? I might plug mine back in to test out the new firmware. 

@Jiefu I found most modems provided by the ISP are not great. Maybe, one options is to remove the device restriction and let saavy user to BYO modem, ofcourse BYO support too. Another options is to provide a fancy modem will all the features but charge more for it. 

Saavy user can BYO modem and set it up with some googling, unfortunately, it is not a straight forward or supported by Optus. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Haha, that could very well be the case @SillyGogo . 

@Jiefu , it's always been a pleasure! 

The new modem is the F@st3864V3HP

Software version: 10.70.1

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy