cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

jimbo5
Contributor
Contributor

new modem

Hi l have NBN fixed wireless broadband connected to my home.  l was perivosuly on the $115 NBN fixed wireless plan but my contract expired last week so l signed up a new contract to the $80 a month bundle plan. l got sent a new modem in the post with a new wifi network name and new password. They said new contract and new plan starts on the 13th of september should l wait untill then to acitvate and connect my new modem or can l activate it now ? What happens to my old modem and old password , does it still work, ?  if not when does it stop working,? after my new plan starts on the 13th september or does it stop working after l activate my new modem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: new modem

You can plug it in now no problems.

The modem SSID (your WiFi name) and password are specific to your modem and have nothing to do with the plan. So if you wanted, you could just not plug the new modem in at all and continue using the old one. 

But to answer your question, when you plug the new modem in, you'll need to start using the new WiFi name and password on your laptops, mobiles, iPads, etc. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
jimbo5
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks , so if l were to not plug in and activate my new modem and just keep my old modem and password l would still transition without any probems  from my old $115 bundle plan  to my new $80 a month bundle  plan when it starts on the 13th september. ?so basically l dont need to activate my new modem to transition to my new plan? is that correct  Also if l were to activate my new modem and use the new username and passwords on my computers, could l if l changed my mind switch back to my old modem and use my old password and username again?

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks , so if l were to not plug in and activate my new modem and just keep my old modem and password l would still transition without any probems  from my old $115 bundle plan  to my new $80 a month bundle  plan when it starts on the 13th september. ?so basically l dont need to activate my new modem to transition to my new plan? is that correct

Yes, that's right. Your plan is going to change no matter what so it's your choice what you do.

Also if l were to activate my new modem and use the new username and passwords on my computers, could l if l changed my mind switch back to my old modem and use my old password and username again?

Also yes. So no matter what you do, I'd keep the modem you don't use as a spare in case something happens to the one you are using

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you, @jimbo5 and thanks for your assistance @SamSam appreciate that. Yes, that is correct, does not matter which modem you use NBN connection is plug and play. As advised by @SamSam only your Wi-Fi username (SSID) and password will change as per the modem. Check out this link with more info on setting up your modem / connection. If you need help with anything else in the future let us know. Kartik

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos