Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sillydreamer
New Contributor
New Contributor

nbn fail

new client you keep telling me my speed is good, no one else using, just me see attachedspeedy.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: nbn fail

Either my eyesight is stuffed or the image is too small. You might want to tell us what it says or post a bigger image please. Smiley Happy

sillydreamer
New Contributor
New Contributor

0 Kudos
sillydreamer
New Contributor
New Contributor

speedy.png

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You may very well have a slow NBN connection however downloading the same file multiple times simultaneously will be making matters worse. It also tells us very little about your internet connection speed as we don’t know where this file is coming from and given its size you may find the server you are downloading it from is throttling the connection or has numerous people downloading at the same time. Websites that supply driver files and such are notorious for slow speeds no matter how fast your connection is.

Have you done any download tests from any other sites or tried some of the well-known speed test sites?

http://speedtest.net/

https://www.ozspeedtest.com/

sillydreamer
New Contributor
New Contributor

they are not the same files? i was always able to download 10 of these files with times around the 20 minute mark ive done speed tests, 14 mbps down and 2.8 ups mbps, usual test results

if i am downlaoding a file that is broken down into a dozen 800mb files i should download one at a time, come back tomorrow download second file, maybe in a few days download file 3, then hope by end of month i can get all 10 files down? 

makes no sense

the fact of the matter is I am no better off signing for nbn, had better results on old adsl......, no matter which way you pitch it

this is a fail, and the fact that i would have to pay more to get more speed is wrong

besides if what you say is right, then there is no point paying for faster speeds as i could be throttled at every turn

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Downloading 4 files from the same place (yes I see what you are saying about the different file names) may result in one quarter of the bandwidth being available for each download depending on your connection speed, how the server is set up and who else is using the resources. As I said above, I don't know where those large files are coming from and without any other reference material it would only be natural to assume that the problem “may” be on their end.

If you say the download speeds were much better on adsl and NBN is the problem then I believe you. From the many posts I have read on this subject there is no guarantee that paying for a higher connection speed will solve the problem especially if it's a capacity / congestion issue. Best to have a word with support to see if they can find a reason why this would be happening in the first place.