Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Imhavingabadday
New Contributor
New Contributor

nbn data usage

This may be a dumb question but why is my nbn data useage showing downloads and upload each day when there has been nobody home for a week. The wi-fi is password protected.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: nbn data usage

@ImhavingabaddayWith any network there is always data being transmitted in order to keep the link (aka connection) alive.The amount of data per day will be small compared to days when you use the internet, but if it is not then something/someone is potentially using your data.

If you want no data recorded then power off or disconnect the NBN modem and/or Optus Modem as then no data will occur.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

How much upload/download are we talking about?

While you may not be actively using your internet, just about any device connected to it, and that is on, will try to use some data daily. So things like home phone, Fetch TV box, Foxtel box, the router itself even if its just making sure that it is still online.

Kartika

Hi @Imhavingabadday, did you leave any devices connect to the Wi-Fi? Some devices have scheduled update that takes place which could be one reason. Even the modem itself goes through upgrades. Do you have any other devices that require internet connection like security cameras etc? As @AndS and @YetAnotherAcc advised those could also be the reasons data usage is registered.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Imhavingabadday
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you. As the amounts of downloand/upload were relatively small I thought that might be the case. Only home phone is connected, but I will definitely check it again next time we are away to compare.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If its a few MB, or even 10's of MB a day that's probably normal idle level traffic for a router.

A phone adapter I have seems to use between 0.5 - 1.0 MB per day combined up/down when idle.