cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor markg
Occasional Contributor

macbook pro on OS 10.6.8. Can i connect it to optus nbn router via wi-fi

Hi Just bought the entertainment plus package and connected it up. 2 macs on OS 10.8 link to internet fine. 2 older macs on OS 10.6.8 just crash when connected to the interenet vis the wifi modem. I'd like to keep these macs on 10.6.8 for the rosetta link to older programs. Can I connect OS 10.6.8 devices to this nbn optus router? Or is there an alternative way to link them to the internet. Advice please.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

Re: macbook pro on OS 10.6.8. Can i connect it to optus nbn router via wi-fi

Hey there @markg - that shouldn't be a problem, but the issue you're having is weird! Were the Macs crashing when connecting via Ethernet or Wi-Fi - or both? 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I have two laptops that connect just fine via wifi on OS 10.8.5 but two on OS 10.6.8 connect briefly then freeze. I checked the specs on your modem and it says compatible with OS 7 and above. So it looks like I cant connect two of my computers. Unless you have some ideas?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

This is a really weird issue to be having 😕 Do you have any other laptops or computers that you can isolate it with? You may need to speak to Apple Support to check your system preference settings. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi

The issue is that I need OS10.6 to access old databases using rosetta. As stated above the new modem does not seem to support this system (OS 10.7 and above only). Apple will only tell me to upgrade to OS10.8 or above but I will loose rosetta.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @markg, an older modem that has compatible firmware but be a fix here. It's not a requirement that you use an Optus supplied modem (although we don't offer any support in terms of troubleshooting equipment we haven't provided). This is still an option for you though. It's really unlikely that we'd be able to do anything further for you here.

If I had the ability to push out an update to your modem with compatible firmware I'd do it. I just can't see anyway we'd be able to solve this problem for you on our end unfortunately :S. Dan 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

I have to use your modem to have a landline phone connection unfortunately or I would use my own.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm really quite stumped here @markg, I apologise. I've just done some brief research on the topic and I can see that this issue doesn't seem to be isolated to your configuration. There's quite few  threads on apple and other forums regarding similar issues.

Although these are dated years back (as per the release of snow leopard at the time and not specially optus modem related. There are similar accounts of what you've described though. Let us know if you come up with the fix - I'd be curious to see whether or not you'll able to get this working. Dan 

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Nairobi
New Contributor

Having the same issue on a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 .. After startup I'm just getting the spinning wheel of death forever.. Took a long time and spent rather a lot of money troubleshooting the system to figure out it was the new Optus NBN Router. Complete Diagnostic didn't pick anything up, total hard drive erace & reinstall of all software did nothing, took it to a repairer for a more advanced diagnostic. Finally figured out that it's the bloody NBN router causing it 😕 - My machine was hard wired to the router - Now I just won't have internet access on that machine .. It IS a weird issue, but it IS for real 😞        Anyone from Optus want to chime in ? any ideas ?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, it could be an IPV6 compatibility issue. It usually causes the OS to crash completely.

Turn Off IPv6

1. Choose Apple menu.
  2. Choose System Preferences.
  3. Click Network. If the Network Preference is locked, click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password to make further changes. ...
  4. Choose Wi-Fi.
  5. Click Advanced, and then click TCP/IP.
  6. Click on the Configure IPv6 pop-up menu and verify it is set to Off.

Can you check to see whether you've set up IPV6 by mistake? It could be set by default. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors