Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

landline on 2nd modem

I have Modem #1 (Sagecom F@AST 5366 TN) in the garage attic away from the house. 

I have a very long internet cable from Modem #1 to the living room that I want to use to plug Modem #2 (Sagemcom F@st 5366 LTE)  to connect my landline.  

The WIFI from Modem #1 and Modem #2 works. 

PROBLEM: The landline works when plugged into Modem #1, but not on Modem #2 which does not light up the phone symbol in the front.  

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: landline on 2nd modem

1st off, you should make the 5366 LTE the main modem as it has 4G backup. In your current setup if there is an internet outage only the devices connected the the Modem 2 will have internet access during an NBN outage. If you swap them around though then both of them will have internet access during an NBN outage.

As for the phone, Modem 1 (whichever you make the 1st modem) is intercepting the phone calls. You might be able to redirect it to the second modem by setting up Modem 1 to:

1) Give modem 2 a static IP address

2) Forward port 5060 UDP&TCP to the IP address you game Modem 2.

I say that this might work because this process is not normally done when the 1st modem is an Optus modem that is actively intercepting the phone call rather then a non-Optus one that would normally just be blocking or redirecting it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Good advice by YetAnotherAcc. Out of interest, is the connection between the primary modem and the secondary modem LAN-LAN (same IP address range) or is it LAN-WAN port (different IP Address range). I would expect you to have dial tone in modem 2 with a LAN-WAN configuration.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @xc, with NBN the landline works as a VOIP service as such it has to run through the Optus modem. It has to be plugged into the modem that is registered (serial number) on our system. If you create a LAN network at home then the home phone will not work via the 2nd modem.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry @Kartika  but that is incorrect.

with NBN the landline works as a VOIP service as such it has to run through the Optus modem.

It does not have to run through the Optus modem, its just that the Optus modems are configured to work. I, for example am running my Optus NBN VoIP service through a dedicated VoIP adaptor and I have no Optus modem/router on my network at all.

It has to be plugged into the modem that is registered (serial number) on our system.

That is not how VoIP authentication works. Its not based on the modem serial number. Its based on SIP registration details which is a VoIP specific username & password.

If you create a LAN network at home then the home phone will not work via the 2nd modem.

Incorrect. As long as the correct traffic can be passed around the network then the home phone can work anywhere on the LAN. 

The only reason @xc 's double router system may not work is because the first router is an Optus one which will be handling the phone call by default, and the router may not have sufficient end-user configuration flexibility to allow the call to be passed on to another router. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc

Thank you for your advice.  

I have switched the 1st modem to be the 5366 LTE for card back up. 

I could not follow the rest of the advice, as both modems have the same IP and I can not get into the second modem.  

I looked at the first modem setting and did not see where I had the option to change the IP to static even if I could get into the second modem. 

Perhaps, I need to spend $$$ on getting the phone cabled into the house.  

What a pain. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Mkrtich

Modem 1 is connected to WAN from NBN box

LAN is coming out of Modem 1 to LAN in Modem 2 as connecting to WAN did not let the internet signal come through

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Kartika

Thank you for letting me know Kartika.

I am very disappointed that the configuration I was given does not allow me to use my current set up and will cost me more money to hire an electrician.  😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc

so would the answer be to get myself another #2 modem, or the problem originates on the 1st Optus modem that would not let me control the data flow?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Kartika
@YetAnotherAcc
@Mkrtich

I answered back, but then realised I was supposed to tag  you all. 

0 Kudos