Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor igiveuponthem
Occasional Contributor

is there a worse company for "customer service"??

Well after more than 18 years with optus, 4 houses in 2 states, I think its time to give up. They couldnt even spell Customer Service - let alone supply any form of it.

All I wanted to do was upgrade my NBN plan from the original NBN we were forced to accept after they cut us off, to the current fastest plan (speedpack4) with no rubbish just internet. Could there be anything easier? Should be 1 call, 10-20 minutes tops? Like it took me to do sisters plan with different ISP - although that was around 12 mths ago.

Well I've been on hold long enough for Dominos to actually deliver dinner, hung up on 4 times - once earlier, then twice tonight, and once last week. I've been put on hold long enough for pizza to be cold, transfered to 5 seperate people/teams, - then thought i'd got somewhere but.. hung up on again. Then some other bloke with a fake aussie name said he'd get somoene to call me back. And strike me dead - they did...then had to put me on hold... Hold = Hang up on you.

The final straw after ANOTHER 45 minutes on hold, I get told I need the "CUSTOMER SERVICE" department. but they closed 45 minutes ago - which makes sense why he hung up on me 50 odd minutes ago!!! he wanted to go home.

The only reason I wanted to stay with them is I've been happy with the internet itself, and changing email addy's after this many years I thought would be painful - but i think its time to let everyone know I'll be using Gmail from now on, and the pain will be worth it..

Well the last clown promised me a call back tomorrow, but I should have some bad news for "steven" (Im sure they make up the names as they answer the phones) LMAO

Am I expecting too much? Or is this the normal these days?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: is there a worse company for "customer service"??

oh and i tried going into an Optus store, but apparently they cant help as Im already a customer...

why bother having a shop...?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

hmm, give live chat a go, I seems to get most things resolve pretty quick there

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

another option is ask to put though to "cancellation", thats works too.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Yea Im holding my breath for "Steven" to call be back at 9.30am.. its only 11am now.

Oh and as for cancelling.... I've read the thread on Whirlpool and seen what nightmare that will be.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2730935

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

First try Live Chat. If that don't work, lodge a complaint https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/complaints. If that don't work, contact the TIO.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Has there been any movement on this one @igiveuponthem?

I can always go in and make the change for you. Let me know.

I'll just need you to send us a PM with your account details. We need your full name, DOB and account number.

Let me know if you decide to come through. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Still waiting for Steven to call, he might be on a 5 day coffee break.

But the good news is looking around you can get better deals elsewhere.Never really shopped around as was happy.

To stay with Optus they would want to be generous, specially after the screwing around I've been through.

I'm only after internet, dont want sport, dont want fetch, we have it now and tried it once for about 10 minutes and packed it back in the box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor dlake
New Contributor

I don't know if there is a worse company. They are now certainly the poster child for shocking systems design in my book. I have been a customer for many years and I'm a loyal customer. I'll put up with teething problems and system problems as long as they are fixed eventually.

Optus used to be pretty good a few years ago. I have had to contact them a lot sometimes and it was very pleasant and helpful. Now their SYSTEMS have been changed so much that they no longer function properly. If you read the complaints over some years, you will see that nothing has changed in the excuses Optus gives for this self-help/online disaster.

Obviously OPTUS wants customers to do their own self-help and online maintenance. I would be OK with this IF there were good support. Repeat--GOOD SUPPORT! I have not found this to be the case. Exhibit A: the call menu when you are foolish enough to ring the only number. Chances of success: very low. Exhibit B: the online help. Good luck with the links and articles.

This is galling for a simple enquiry and a massive waste of a customer's time. It is upsetting to be told to go to the website when the links and pages don't work properly. It is enraging to be bumped off the phone for no reason while holding. It is intolerable to be sent around in circles for no good reason while the false messages of sympathy and promises of doing better abound.

They are not doing better at all.

I put in a complaint online--you know the kind where they promise to get back to you withing a certain number of hours? I'm still waiting.

I spoke recently with someone from OPTUS (Yes--it's possible...but I had to write a letter first...remember those??) who painstakingly acknowledged that the call system menu was intolerable and very badly thought through. That the online services were irregular and unpredictable. That you could no longer contact anybody in person about anything at all. She was quite expert at validating and mirroring my complaints. Unfortunately she couldn't answer my question about getting any direct customer service, of any kind, in a timely or efficient fashion. She was a very nice person. Pity she had to parrot the corporate excuses about valuing my feedback--now that I find OPTUS has had a huge amount of similar feedback over a very long time, and done little about it.

The time for soothing words and no remedial actions surely must have passed for this company.

The best service I got was when I refused to pay my bill--and OPTUS rang me immediately in person. After transferring me to the right department of course the line dropped out.

I consider that whoever has designed the current "customer service" has no experience of using their own system! There is NO evidence that the complaints of recent months and months (identical to those of today) have been sorted out. None. I just want someone from OPTUS to ring their own contact number and see what happens; that would be very satisfying.

In conclusion, for a communications company this is a joke. But, if you're reading this here, you probably suspect this anyway.

If it were a simple matter to change providers then in a short space of time a company with a system as bad as OPTUS has would be left with few customers, in my opinion. Can you tell that I'm still fuming?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I'm still waiting for "Steven" to call me or anyone from Optus to care AT ALL and contact me. I guess 18-20+ yrs means nothing at all to them.

Give Aussie Broadband a call - you'll be setup and running in less than an hour. Read their reviews on Whirlpool - phenominial and cheaper than Optus!!

You just have the pain of contacting dozens of places to change your email address... trust me, I'm going though it at moment, but have now opened a Gmail account, so if I have to go through this again, it wont be as painful.

Oh and nothing like being told to check their website for help - when your internet is down.

You managed to get a phone call when you didnt pay the bill? I only missed twice as I was away at the time.... and I got cut off - no phone call. Your lucky!!!!!

Highlighted
New Contributor dlake
New Contributor

You are inspiring me!

I am ready to go through the pain because I keep thinking a dysfunctional company is going to change--WRONG!

0 Kudos