Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

help please - no internet for two days

Greetings, our internet has not been working for two days now.

We've been provisioned for Fibre-to-Node but have no idea whether we have been cutover to NBN. However up until  two days ago everything was working.

We have the NBN modem Internet interface plugged to the cable modem. 

NBN Modem - Sagemcom FAST 5366TN

Cable Modem - Netgear CM500V

I can see an internet IP address via DHCP on the Sagemcom device however not able to browse to any websites. m

I'm able to browse to the cable modem ok and it says Cable Connection: 'Good'.

Below are in the logs - i've hidden some letters of the MAC.

2020-12-17, 00:40:02 Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=28:80:88:05:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:1d:45:70:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2020-12-18, 10:23:58 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=28:80:88:05:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:1d:45:70:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1970-1-1, 00:00:29 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
1970-1-1, 00:00:32 Warning (5) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC=28:80:88:05:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:1d:45:70:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;
2020-12-18, 16:45:10 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=28:80:88:05:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:1d:45:70:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any ideas what is causing this?

I spoke to support and they were not able to say much or work out how my connectivity was working because according to them I should've a DSL light but I got nothing connected to the DSL port. I assumed this will happen when we cutover to NBN? They will be sending a NBN tech next week. I really can't wait till next week as I've some online classes over the weekend. 

I've done a modem reset via the reset hole on both devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated please.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: help please - no internet for two days

For FTTN you definitely have to connect the 5366TN's DSL port into a phone line. Do you have an old Telstra phone socket (i.e. copper phone line) in the house? You can't use the old Optus phone socket as comes into the house via the Optus cable.

Type your address here and see what your NBN status is. If you are connected to the NBN it should state "You are connected to the nbn™ broadband access network" at the top of the page.

For FTTN you do not use the cable modem at all, and the error message you are getting seem to imply that the cable connection has been deactivated.

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hey @hpkv - Thanks for sharing this with us.

We do have our NBN troubleshooting guide here which you can try here.

While there are a few methods we can try to troubleshoot though, I'd rather hasten this for you and provide assistance and support so that we can get you back online as soon as possible.

Could you please send our Facebook or Twitter team a direct message? We'll grab some information securely there and can run further testing to see what has happened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, Ive gone through the guide and I've already triple checked all the cabling.

Like I said, I'm getting a public IP but not able to browser from the PC wirelessly connected through the Sagemcom device.

Is there any reset or setting I should be checking? 
0 Kudos
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

WAN and Internet light are solid.
0 Kudos
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

ok if it has been deactivated, i should not be getting an ip address? Looks like I've no other option than waiting for NBN tech to arrive 😞
0 Kudos
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

When I did an address lookup it says You are connected to the nbn™ broadband access network
0 Kudos
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I do have a phone line which was provisioned few months ago and I've plugged this into the DSL port, but not getting a DSL light...looks like there is some other settings which I need to do to make this work?
0 Kudos
hpkv
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

When I had the phone line plugged in to the DSL port, I can see the modem trying to connect via the ppp with default credentials. How can I change this setting? under the optus login, this is greyed out.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@hpkv wrote:
ok if it has been deactivated, i should not be getting an ip address? 

The IP address you are getting is almost certainly from the cable modem, not the internet, and if that is the case then it will be 192.168.xxx.xxx . The cable modem is displaying DHCP warnings, so it was probably unable to get the internet IP.

When I did an address lookup it says You are connected to the nbn™ broadband access network

That should imply that you have a function phone line that can take the DSL connection.

I do have a phone line which was provisioned few months ago and I've plugged this into the DSL port, but not getting a DSL light

Was that a Telstra/NBN line, or an Optus line?

looks like there is some other settings which I need to do to make this work?

There are no setting necessary.  Its all automatic.

0 Kudos