Searching...
Highlighted

either sent wrong model or lacking the right port

DanielJ

we have just moved into a new apartment and opened an account with with optus to access the NBN. We were advised we have fibre to the node. The modem we were sent assumes a phone connection (i think RJ11?) in the apartment. Unfortunately the phone plug has been removed at the wall and there is just a bunch of wires hanging out of the wall plate. There is however an intact co-axial port in the wall. The people in neighbouring flats are connecting to the NBN via phone line. 

2 questions:

- given other neighbouring flats are connected via phone line is there any chance the coaxial port could be used to connect to the NBN? 

- assuming we do need the phone plug repaired is this a job for optus, telstra or a private contractor?

Any advice would be gratefully recieved :-)

Thanks! 

Re: either sent wrong model or lacking the right port

Jeneral__Pain

Hi,

the coax port would be for your antenna.

if the phone plug in your apartment is damaged, then you need to contact your preferred licensed cabler to repair this. Internal wiring Optus, Telstra or NBN won’t touch. 

Regards

JP

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

DanielJ

Thanks for such a quick response! 

We have internet via coax at another property and I found mention of it here https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/hybrid-fibre-coaxial-explained-hfc-3

is it the case case that regardless of it being possible we will need to connect via phone in this case? 

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Jeneral__Pain

What does your address show when you run it through this website? www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi

Premise Technology: ? 

Technology Service Class: ?

Because you wouldn't go through the phone line if you were NBN HFC? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

DanielJ
POI name 
CSA name 
Premises location ID 
Premises technologyFibre To The Node
Premises service class13
Premises service class descriptionServiceable by copper, infrastructure in place
Premises readinessReady to connect to the nbn!
Rollout Region ID 

I guess that means we need to use the copper (so find someone to fix the phone port)?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
30 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos