- Connected an Optus cable service earlier this year. Worked ok on day of install then service went downhill quickly. Disconnected every few mins and usable. I install my own router but speeds are low compared to the Optus one that continually disconnects.
- Called and got the usual run around. I'm not an idiot. I work in tech. Had to escalate basic support to a complaint because Optus support staff are completely useless and just cannot understand English. Ask basic questions just to get a complete segway onto an unrelated topic. Got onto a manager after asking to escalate to a complaint no less than 5 times. He started arranging a tech to come out but never called back to confirm anything.
- Tech rocks up unnaounced to move the wall point. WTF? Didn't know he was coming out and wasn't told he was going to move a point at my cost. I told him to leave. He replaced the wifi router and once more, on day of visit while he was on the phone to Optus, everything worked fine. Once more, the next day it is rubbish again.
- NBN goes live and I receive the "we're cutting off your service in 6 months" letter. Let's ignore the 18mo they need to legally provide and just use a contract clause to screw the customer. Great service Optus...
- I submit a complaint online basically saying I'll be moving a dozen or so services off Optus because I've had enough. It's obvious that they don't care and have no means or desire to help anyone with an issue.
- Don't find the time to move anything and only have a quick look around.
- 4 weeks later Optus customer relations call out of the blue. They want to fix my cable internet that has always been rubbish that is going to be disconnected forcibly by them in a few months anyway. I ask them why they're bothering when it's been garbage for months and they've done nothing about the complaints. We decide to give them one last chance and swap it over to NBN. Get told to expect an email with details.
- NBN guy rocks up this morning without notice. He's been trying to call the home phone (only ever had cable internet here and never had a home phone connected).
- HFC area using Telstra cable, so he disconnects the Optus cable router and pushes the connection point into the wall so it can't be used. Installs the NBN router and leaves.
- I now don't have an internet service as I'm meant to wait for Optus to text me - the same Optus that have yet to send me details on change over of the service to a new one and did not have a mobile number to provide the NBN tech.
- I've called them and live chatted and spent the last 3 hours getting nowhere as none of the people I've spoken to or been in chat with have escalated like I've asked a number of times. I've emailed customer relations as there is no way to directly contact them even though I have a ref number and I just get the automated repsonse that they'll get back to me in 10 days.
TIO here I come. I'm done.
If anyone is thinking of Optus. Please save yourself the grief. The service is just as rubbish as the support.
Okay, you’ve got a few facts quite wrong here. Optus has special exemption to remove customers from their network (Optus HFC) within 180 days instead of 18 months because the Optus network was sold by NBN. Yes it’s different to everyone else, but the Optus cable network is going in the bin, and your first parts of the post is exactly why.
NBN are notorious for showing up unannounced or not showing at all.
Given you have escalated to the TIO, I’m not sure what your expecting?
I’ve referred your complaint to the Yes Crowd Admin team. I trust this will help satisfy your concern that “I am salty”.
I was assigned a case manager and ref number. She provided me with the generic customer relations email address and I was instructed that if I needed to conatct her directly I should email that address, which I have done. I was told that after the service issues were fixed we would discuss compensation.
The issues have however just been made worse with zero communication, as has been the entire ordeal with Optus. I'll message you the ref number. No one else at Optus has been willing to do anything other than forward me between first level support staff who have been asked to escalate the issue a number of times, but have managed to just ignore that request every time - an experience I'm familair with and am sure that they are instructed to do unforunately.
Thank you for sending through a message with the reference number. I will be looking into this to try my best to help you from here.
Pity the old connection was tucked away like that (That's a NBN decision btw). Don't suppose its still essentially intact and you can pop it out while you're getting sorted? You'd need to use the old modem for that. I hope you get a resolution.
As an update, it took 24hrs to get a response from Customer Relations telling me it will take 2 weeks to sort out and only because Ray forwarded on my issues.
Ray has been the only ongoing contact I've had with Optus. It takes posting on a forum to get any useful help while their top tier Customer Relations staff hide behind anonymous emails and not having a phone number anyone can call them on.
I have a case manager. I have a reference number. I'm as high up the food chain as possible... And still no one can actually help beyond the exact same service I would get as a new customer signing up on the internet.
Appalling, shameful "service".