cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Contributor
Contributor

Re: can't reach any of my tmd hosted sites ip 45.76.125.126 from optus NBN at my shop

I don't think it would be a DNS issue as your machine seems to be picking up the correct destination IP, yes?
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: can't reach any of my tmd hosted sites ip 45.76.125.126 from optus NBN at my shop

@jamodamo wrote:

DNS is not an issue as the problem PC's pick up the correct IP.

Optus does have problems with DNS problems with arbitrary domains all the time.

Is the PC you are testing from on Optus NBN? 

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The sites using Optus NBN cannot connect, while all other sites can.

Considering the Optus NBN sites that aren't working when attempting to contact the server return the correct IP, I didn't suspect DNS. I think for one site I changed the PC to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8) and still had the same issue, hence why I suspect an internal Optus routing issue.

Also, I don't mean to hijack this thread, this was merely me chiming in suspecting that the original post and my issues could be of a similar cause.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

please do hijack this thread i have about a dozen sites on that server so its annoying to think anyone on optus nbn cant reach it, can't reach mail servers either.

Trying to chat with optus technical is a huge time waster im thinking of just moving my clients mailserver onto godaddy or some other cheap hosting until optus sorts this out.

Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I don't know how many users your mailserver has, but I found with a small number say up to 10 or 20, it was worth using hosted exchange at around $6-7/user/month.

In the meantime ,  a tracert will be most interesting when you are able to get onsite.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

This is for a Non-profit group that already has an existing SBS server with a number of users with a monthly total cost of $0 per user. I have them on NonProfit O365 and plant to migrate them, but that doesn’t help right now.
Trace route helps a bit, only 1 hop from their local NBN router to 49.3.105.185 then “destination host in reachable”. The above address I think is the clients external IP. I might log into their router and change its DNS from Optus to something else and re-rest. I’m hoping this also helps the original poster.
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jamodamo 

So if its a simple HTTPS connection and the domain resolves to an IP, if you go the the URL what kind of error do you get?

With all the people reporting these Optus NBN specific problems I've always been able to visit their domains without problem. I'm on Optus FTTC but don't use the Optus router and I user Cloudflare DNS.

I'm happy to check out a URL/domain or do a tracert if you need.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

It works from all other networks it seems, so it’s not a firewall issue. Even the clients mobile works fine, until they go on their home Optus NBN wifi. It works from my home and my office connections. There are a couple of other tests I’m going to try out tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks 🙏
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jamodamo wrote:
There are a couple of other tests I’m going to try out tomorrow. I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks 🙏

No problem. Can you find out if the client has this Optus modem at home. If they do it will be an interesting test to see if they can get to the site when the modem is in 4G backup mode.

Contributor
Contributor

Yep, that’s the one. I’ll see if it works when in 4G failover.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors