Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
vortex1950
New Contributor
New Contributor

byo router with Optus supplied modem

I am about to be changed over from cable to FTTC NBN. The problem at present is that the brand new fibre in our street is not working and NBN have to sort that out first!!!!!!!
In the mean time, I am just trying narrow down my network connection options. I am fairly up on networking, though I admit to being an older analogue techie at heart - so digital method gets a bit confusing sometimes.
I have in hand the Optus modem (Sagemcom Fast 5366 TN). I have tried to find specs but very hard to. So my first question is - does this modem actually have a domain name server built in???
Reason for question, I presently have the cable modem connecting straight to a TP Link TL402M router (just a router, no WiFi), which then connects to a large unmanned switch and then my home network (including Wi Fi). Our phone is VOIP, but from another provider.
Using the above, if the Optus supplied modem has a domain server, can I connect my router directly to it without having it's DNS interfere with the DNS in the TP Link router. That is, I want my router to supply the IP addresses for my home network - not the Optus modem!!!
Seperate to this, am I correct in saying that I could (once the Optus connection is established with their own modem) simply connect my router directly to the NBN connection/inferface box? If so (and from what I read apparently it is) I know I would loose access to the Optus supplied phone line, but I don't really need that anyway.
Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: byo router with Optus supplied modem

Your current connection won't be stopped before the NBN one is confirmed up and running.

In your situation, yes you would just use the Optus supplied modem to activate the line and then throw it away. Plug your modem/router in and you likely don't have to change any settings even.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@vortex1950 wrote:

Using the above, if the Optus supplied modem has a domain server, can I connect my router directly to it without having it's DNS interfere with the DNS in the TP Link router. That is, I want my router to supply the IP addresses for my home network - not the Optus modem!!!

If you turn of wifi on the Optus router so that nothing gets internet/network access directly from it then the DHCP server will not give out addresses. I device gets it IP address from the first  DHCP server (which is what you are describing not domain server)  it encounters, so because you have set it up so that all devices go through your TP Link router, it will be the TP link router that sees them first, and so it will dish out the IP's.

But to ensure that the Optus router does not cause conflict, just disable its DHCP server, pr restrict its IP range to one that does not overlap with what the TP link could possibly give out.

Seperate to this, am I correct in saying that I could (once the Optus connection is established with their own modem) simply connect my router directly to the NBN connection/inferface box? 

As you will be getting FTTC, its as @petergdownload  says, you don't need to use the Optus modem one its used initially to establish the initial service connection.

If you ever need to call Optus support about a connection problem you will need to use Optus router because that is the only one they support, so don't throw it away.

If so (and from what I read apparently it is) I know I would loose access to the Optus supplied phone line,.

Yes Optus line *technically* only works with the Optus router, but it will work behind another router with the right network config, and provided you don't have another VoIP service that uses the same ports as the Optus one.

0 Kudos
vortex1950
New Contributor
New Contributor

Many thanks.
Yes I am aware our cable shouldn't be disconnected yet, but I am also aware the Optus internal communication is a bit up the creek. It must be when I have been assured we won't be disconnected yet, but I keep getting texts and emails wanting to know why we haven't activated our connection yet and warning that cable will be disconnected soon with us left with nothing. I even had an Optus tech on the way for an appointment which i understood had been indefinitely postponed!
I am looking at options for now and I may yet decide to do without the Optus modem in time if we don't really need it. But I am trying to get my head around how ip address serving works as such. My analog head plus a bit of foggy brain doesn't help.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds like you're getting a lot of automated communications that can't deal with the specifics of your situation.

IP addressing is just called a DHCP server. Main thing to ensure is:

1) You only have one server on your network (so disable it on all modems except one)

2) The range of the server doesn't conflict with any static IP addresses you've assigned around the home. Usually I allow 192.168.0.1-100 for fixed IP addresses and set the DHCP server to the range 192.168.0.101-255
0 Kudos
vortex1950
New Contributor
New Contributor

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@vortex1950 wrote:

Correct.

Correct. 

You don't need to because you have already given your router an IP address when you configured it. The Optus router will see that your router already has an IP address so will be happy to talk to it.

Correct.  By default, all routers have to send their internet traffic via the WAN port.  So in order for your router to get internet (and anything connected to your router), you have to connect your routers WAN port to a LAN port on the Optus router.

No problem. That't not a complication, that's normal.

Your're not alone. And certainly doesn't help when so many things sound the same.

0 Kudos
vortex1950
New Contributor
New Contributor

Beauty bonza.

It is always so useful to get something like this clear. I often get into trouble when I do try to clarify things in such a way. I tend to think for ex that many tech manuals are written by people who have already assumed you do know a lot of what they are now supposed to be teaching you!
I will need to absorb all this a bit, so I would appreciate it if you keep an eye on this post for a couple of days - just in case my brain cannot quite get around the last bit!

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@vortex1950 wrote:

I tend to think for ex that many tech manuals are written by people who have already assumed you do know a lot of what they are now supposed to be teaching you!

It depends on the type of manual you are using. Its tough to get the balance right though but they do tend to lean towards too deep a prerequisite knowledge, not just the basics.

I will need to absorb all this a bit, so I would appreciate it if you keep an eye on this post for a couple of days - just in case my brain cannot quite get around the last bit!

No problem. I get email notifications when there are new posts so I'm bound to see it.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Note that the simplest thing you can do is plug only the Optus modem (via its WAN port) in to the NBN. Then activate the line. Then unplug the Optus Modem completely and plug your old modem into the NBN modem (via its WAN port)

This will mean zero settings to update and everything should just work as it used to. If you want to add the Optus modem back in for a landline then it get a bit more fiddly as you are working through. If you do that I would:

1) Disable Optus DHCP server (you only need one)
2) Disable Optus Wifi (its just interference)

0 Kudos
Top Contributors