Searching...
Highlighted

being forced to change plan

linuts

My Area (Blaxkbutt 2529) is now NBN ready and not a peep from Optus to let me know . (or NBN Co)

I have the following with Optus: FetchTV...2 Mobile Phones....and the Optus Big Bundle for Internet and Phone paying $130/m

So i went to my local Optus shop and asked about NBNplans. and was told that to keep t he same services i have now will cost me an extra $14/m or $144/m. When i asked why i was told that because i am changing plans my Optus discount will cease. I told the Optus Sales person that i am being forced to change because i have to transfer to the NBN, She was not interested and said it would be $144/m.

So why do i have to loose my Discount when all i have np option but to  change over to the NBN. Starting to look at othe Service providers I.E. Telstra with Foxtel.

Thanks 

John

Re: being forced to change plan

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Every existing ISP service is being disconnected. This affects the ISPs (like Optus) who have essentially been told that whatever contractual arrangement they have with a customer, when the NBN arrives it will cease completely soon after. OPtus has no say in this and neigther do you.Its a necessary part in getting the NBN rolled out nation wide.

But its not a bad thing. You now have the choice of any RSP and any plan going. No longer does fast internet mean only Optus or Telstra cable. That said Optus has a good offering with lots of extra content and the Fetch Boxes. 

So yes your contract has ended and its now up to you to weigh the merits of what Optus is offering or any other RSP. The price points have changed because the government has mandated the NBN be profitable on day one (which means in general prices are going up $10-$20 for the highest speeds. For those lucky few on cable its a slight sacrifice but for the other 75% of the nation they get a huge boost to their capability. For Optus, the cost of providing the internet has gone up (It has been relying on a slowly failing aged HFC network to provide cheap access to a few), now it has to pay NBNCo just like all other RSPs do to access the data so NBNCo can properly deploy and maintain the HFC networks.   

Note that you should be able to get essentially the same deal as you have now for the same cost by going the standard 50Mbps speed plan? You'll likely notice no actual difference daya to day and if you do you can pay the premium to bump it up.

Peter Gillespie

linuts

Thank you for the reply...It was the 50Mb speed plan i was offered for $144/m....The discount i was recieving was a $10 off my Big bundle and included my Mobile phone plan $30/m.

Also i was told that the 50Mb could not be guarenteed  ( Optus are advertising it as 42mb usual speed at night time.). I have had a look around at other providers and iiNet have the same speed plan with FetchTV and all the Channel packs  as well as landline and all Local and National calls plus all ca lls to Australian Mobiles for $115/m.but does not include my mobile plan. which will work out at $1 dearer. Smiley Surprised.

Cheers

John

petergdownload

Yep. Choice is a great thing. I assume the extra $ for Optus relate to the other content offerings (like Optus Sport). FWIW if you do leap somewhere, perhaps try a RSP that offers true month to month plans. If you don't like the service you can switch instantly to another provider.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos