Searching...
Highlighted

all routers we have owned have rebooted randomly

Cjames

so we have had 3 seperate optus routers, and have bought an asus ac52u. and our router drops out still, 3-4 times a day.

optus said our lines are fine. NBN said the node is fine. i plugged a google home into the same power as the router and that doesnt reboot. changed the dsl cable. it happens whether one person is home or all 5 of us. updated the routers. unplugged the DSL cable from the router and it doesnt boot loop itself, so its not becuase it is losing connection. the logs literally show the same as when you reboot the modem.

any and all help will be much appreciated

Re: all routers we have owned have rebooted randomly

Jeneral__Pain

When you say “drops out”, on your DSL52U, is the DSL light flashing when this drop out occurs? 

What orher routers have you tried?

was the drop out the same as my first question? The DSL light flashes.

now, I can tell you nbn wouldn’t tell you “the node is fine”, because you aren’t nbn’s customer. You are Optus customer.

how many sockets in your home? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Cjames

the entire router shuts down... as if you power it off.

we have had 3 sagecoms from optus, along with our current one from asus.

when you unplug the dsl cable it doesnt bootloop, so the dsl isnt losing connection. all lights turn off but the power light

they didnt tell us directly that its fine... they told optus the node was fine.

we had 2, but the optus nbn tech cut off our second line. so its not even wired any more.

we spoke to optus about getting an NBN tech from them and he never showed up, they called and said he checked our lines, which is BS, because he didnt even show up.

AlistarS

@Cjames

It's a bit of a strange one. When this happens, all of the light indicators are off, including the power light? Does the modem power on again by itself? From what you've described, it sounds like a power issue i.e. a short circuit. 

If signal is interrupted due to a fault somewhere within the  nbn™ Network - the modem should still remain powered on. If there's an internal wiring issue that extends from the Network boundary point, the modem should also remain powered on.

Cjames

all the lights go off but the power, but in the logs, we get the same logs as if it has lost power and gained it instantly. yes it does turn back on. we have tried 2 different power ports AND put a google home into the same port as the router, and that doesnt turn off.

we just fear we cant afford a fix atm, although we wont know till we get the quote i guess.

AlistarS

It's not something I've ever come across before @Cjames

I imagine that we've run a remote line test and the results have come back all within spec (hence we've advised that there's no issue with the node).When you'd raised the issue with us in the past, did we open an investigation? Would you happen to have the fault ticket number? If so, I can take a quick look at the test results. 

I'd say the session log attached to your service wouldn't be of much help. It'll simply show a number of new sessions have been detected due to to the modem rebooting itself. 

Cjames

20854639 was our fault ticket, they did say they had an investigation going, but we never heard back...

ninkasi

So, just to confirm:

• You have nbn, provided via copper (ie ADSL) - probably fttc or fttn
  • At random times during the day, you lose internet connectivity
  • You have tried three Optus routers (the original and two replacements) and all had same issue
  • You are now using your own router that is plugged directly into the nbn provided connection box, and it has the same issue
  • You have checked the power the router is plugged into, and it's not resetting

So, have you also checked that the power the nbn box is plugged into is ok? Has that box been replaced? Have you confirmed that the loss of internet connectivity is not due to a wifi issue? No need to respond - just a couple of dumb questions just in case. :-)

As an aside,  I had similar issues with our Optus cable service. I eventually worked out that the Optus provided Netgear router could not cope with our large household (lots of network connected devices) - the memory on the router would overload and cause it to restart. The way I fixed it (unfortunately Optus couldn't as they no longer had the better router that did not have this issue) was to bridge the Optus modem and use my own router (from Ubiquiti). This *sounds* like a similar issue to mine, but you have tried a different router that is fairly decent so seems to rule that problem out. I'd still monitor the logs from your new router and see if there are any issues being reported.

Speaking of which, the other thing I would do is - if you can - setup a pc on your network that 'pings' a remote server (such as one of the Optus dns servers) to record outages. There are many programs out there that are free (search for 'visual ping') that run on windows, osx, etc. This is handy to be able to provide true objective information to Optus/nbn, that supports your statement that the service is dropping multiple times a day. You can usually set these programs up to test multiple devices, so you should also be able to show that your router is working (by pinging that) when the nbn service is not.

Finally, keep a manual record of when you contact Optus and what was discussed. If you also have a telephone service with Optus don't forget that they are signatories on the Customer Service Guarantee ("CSG"), so they will have an even bigger incentive to fix the issue as whilst the router is rebooting the 'phone will not be working. https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Landlines/Phone-connection-and-repair/customer-service-guaran... reported, the service needs to be fixed within one business day. After that it's $14.52 per day for the first 5 days, then $48.40 each day after the first five.

ninkasi

Wow. I missed the bit that says "all the lights go off but the power, but in the logs, we get the same logs as if it has lost power and gained it instantly. yes it does turn back on. we have tried 2 different power ports AND put a google home into the same port as the router, and that doesnt turn off."

It does sound like a power issue then. Be aware that a router and a google home has different power requirements, so the home may be able tom cope with a minor brown out/power surge that other kit might not be able to. I'd consider getting a UPS eg https://cplonline.com.au/ups/ups-units/apc-schneider-bx700u-az-apc-back-ups-700va-230v-avr-au-socket... and plug the router and nbn box into that.

AlistarS

That one was raised all the way back in April. We did bring the issue to the attention of NBN; however, they'd closed the ticket as resolved (no fault found, service performing within spec) 

I've had a look at the dropout log and we're seeing a really high number of dropouts. The disconnection reason being, "network access server error- Error looking up user details" 

Good suggestion @ NINKASI. @Cjames has an FTTN connection, but that'll work with the router alone. I could ask the team to reopen the ticket and perform another investigation. NBN will only go out if the diagnostics they've run point to a network related issue. Our Case Management team might offer to send out an Optus contractor. 

If the fault is found to lie within your internal line or equipment you might be charged a service call out fee.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos