Searching...

You are entitled to compensation and a costless exit from your NBN contract

bob666

Hi i recived this email today and was just wondering if it is legit or not 

You are entitled to compensation and a costless exit from your NBN contract

Hi there,

We are writing to inform you that we have checked your National Broadband Network (NBN) connection and found that you cannot receive the internet speeds you were promised. We have entered into an undertaking with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and admit we likely breached the Australian Consumer Law. As a result, we are offering you a choice of several options below including compensation of $

You are currently on a MY ENTERTAINMENT PLUS plan. This means that you were promised internet speeds of up to 100/40.

The maximum speed you can receive is 48 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload.

This means that you were promised speeds of up to 100 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 48 Mbps download and 11 Mpbs upload.

Your options

Because you can't receive the speeds you were promised, you can choose between the following options:

Option 1 - Remain on your current plan and receive compensation and a discount

You can choose to remain on your current MY ENTERTAINMENT PLUS plan, which includes maximum speeds of 100 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload.

If you choose this option, you will receive compensation of $           because you were promised speeds that you could not receive.

If you choose this option, you still won't be able to receive the maximum speeds of your plan. However, we will provide you with a discount of $  per month for the remainder of your contract term.

Option 2 - Exit your contract without cost and receive compensation

You can choose to exit your Optus contract without cost. We will not charge you any early termination charges to exit your contract. You will receive compensation of $   because you were promised speeds that you could not receive.

About your NBN connection

Your premises are connected to the internet using the NBN's fibre-to-the-node technology.

This means that your NBN connection is made up of two parts: (1) optic fibre to a nearby box (this is the 'node'), and (2) copper wire from the node to your premises.

The maximum speed that can be delivered to your premises is affected by several factors, including the distance and quality of the copper wire between your premises and the node, electrical interference, and the cabling in your premises.

Important things to note

Your maximum speed is a limit on what speeds you can receive, not a measurement of what you are actually receiving at all times.

Your maximum speed may not change if you choose to exit your contract with Optus and purchase an NBN internet plan from another provider. If you choose to exit your contract with Optus and purchase an NBN internet plan from another provider, we recommend you ask your new provider what your maximum speed will be, and what speeds you will receive during busy times.

What you need to do next

If you want to remain on your current plan and receive compensation and a discount, click here.

If you want to exit your contract without cost and receive compensation, please call Optus on 1300 478 249. We're available 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.

As part of this process we will need to verify your identity.

If you have any questions, please call us on 1300 478 249.

Thanks,

Your Optus Team

Contact us ›

Yes Crowd ›

Privacy

This email was sent by: Optus 1 Lyonpark Road Macquarie Park, NSW, 2113, Australia. If you are not the intended recipient and we've sent this email to you in error, please let us know here.
THIS IS A SYSTEM GENERATED EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE

Re: You are entitled to compensation and a costless exit from your NBN contract

Dan_C

@bob666, it's one hundred percent legitimate.

To discuss the matter in more detail, we'd really need you to call the number we've attached in the body of the email we've sent you.

Alternatively, fill out the required fields on the online form and we'll arrange a suitable time to contact you.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

bob666

Thanks Smiley Happy

Dan_C

No problem Smiley Happy

Shout out if any other questions come to mind.

Have a great weekend! 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

So did you blank out the compensation offer? Was it a total amount or something like $20?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

bob666

It was a total amount i would think it will be diferent amounts for diferent people depending on how far back they singed up and on what plane they are on Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Thanks @bob666,

The compensation letters could have a bit more detail than a single number imo. However whatever you decide to do hope the amount is a nice bonus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

antinoz

I got the same offer. In my opinion, it's kind of a token amount. I also like that, if you choose the option of staying with the reduced speed there is no compensation at all. All that aside, I tried to call up today to cancel and guess what, as per usual, a 30 minute expected wait time on the queue. This is a great form of customer service, make the queue times long enough that people just give up in disgust.

Dan_C

@antinoz, I'd really suggest filling out our online NBN speed claim form → https://offer.optus.com.au/nbn-speed-claim.

We'll have a consultant call you back a time that works best for you. 

Highlighted

antinoz

Well I would, but when you click the terminate plan option you get told to call Optus on the queue that has an EWT in excess of 30 minutes.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos