Searching...

Worried about speed drop when switching to NBN

miraant

I have just had my first notification that the NBN will come to me shortly. I run a small business from home and have been a long-term Optus cable subscriber.  At all times of the day and night, I regularly get  90mpbs download and have rarely dropped below 80.  This suits my business and household needs perfectly.

I am concerned that the packages for the NBN indicate my speeds will more than halve????

How do you get the equivalent of my current superfast cable (sorry can't remember the official title given to the router I got through Optus to get this) on the NBN?

Also will I need to pay to replace my router?

Re: Worried about speed drop when switching to NBN

petergdownload

Hi @miraant,

The NBN has many benefits, but for those already on good high speed cable its less obvious. First thing is to confirm what NBN technology you will be getting. Type your address in here.

Further answers basically depend on the answer so I won't go into all the possibilities. Suffice to say 100Mbps plans abound.

Get back to us

Regards

Peter Gillespie

miraant

I believe it is HFC

What is the highest speed I can get with this?

what plans will give me this speed and it will be the same cost as I have now?

Can I still use the high speed router I got from Optus?

I can’t afford to be spending more money and certainly not if I lose speed. 

Appreciate your respnse

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

You believe? Did you use the link I provided to find out for sure? I don't want to give you wrong advise.

Peter Gillespie

miraant

This is what I see when I put in my address.

Yesterday people from the NBN put markings on the footpath and on our property (not happy about that - but realise this is not you).  Unfortunately, I was not home at the time, so I am not quite sure why the reference below says it will be available in April next year if they are doing something now.  The letter in the mail said it would start happening this month.

I currently use Optus cable for my internet and home phone (so I have a line from the telegraph pole to a white box on a wall on my house). 

I gather I can not access plans on your site at the moment because I am not officially connected?

Anything you can tell me about the speeds, pricing will be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 1.24.42 pm.png

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi @miraant,

Last time I was scribbling on a sidewalk was in primary school Smiley Happy. Just FYI I'm not Optus, just a customer like you that sometimes tries to answer questions here. So to yours.

1) Unfortunately (or fortunately) NBNCo will be doing what it wants re installs. Obviously street works are just par for the course but also they can access your property to sort the NBN connection needed to without any permission. In your case unless you have a Telstra HFC cable (as well as an Optus HFC cable) then at some stage in the next few months they will string a new cable probably along the same space as the existing Optus cable. This will then run down to a small plastic box attached to the side of your house. That is the first stage of getting the NBN and all homes will get that in your area.

2) The second stage will only happen if you contact an ISP (e.g. Optus and request the NBN be connected to your home.) This stage only starts when NBNCo declares your area RFS (Ready For Service). According to the site your area is listed for APRIL 2019 to be RFS. Between now and then all the other homes in your area will be hooked up from the street too. When you request the NBN be connected from an ISP they will arrange an appointment for an NBN guy to come out and hook that box to a point inside your house. You will usually get a free NBN modem to plug this into. The existing old Optus cable can be removed later on.

3) When your area goes RFS Optus has traditionally sent notices to all their cable customers giving them three months notice before their existing internet will be disconnected. This is an Optus decision not a NBN one. They will of course be happy to sign you onto a new Optus NBN plan. As a long time customer it should be free and hopefully continue your current month to month arrangement. Possibly they will try insist on a new 12-24 month contract but that should be negotiable. This will be a new contract though so some of your existing pricing and features may well change.

4) It's important to realise that Optus is discontinuing its service, so you are free to choose to resign with them or to pick any other RSP for the NBN - all RSPS now have access to the same high speed HFC cables to your home where previously only Optus and Telstra could use the HFC network.

5) Have a look at the current Optus plans to get an idea of what is now available. I'm not sure why you can't see the plans as they're publically available (how else would Optus get new customers if only existing customers can get them?). Find them here. Note the two SPEED PACK options you can toggle in each plan.

6) NBN will give several new options for speeds and pricing so you can choose. You can usually also change your speeds if you decide the one you are on is not fast enough (or two fast).The question is are you on the high speed HFC now (100Mbps) or lower speed (30Mbps)? The high speed is (as it was) a premium product so looking at the Optus plans its $95 for unlimited 100Mbps. 

7) Note the sweet spot for NBN plans is the next speed down. 50Mbps. In practice this is plenty for most homes for the time being. You could stream 5 Netflix HD shows at the same time easily with this. 

8) Also a little overlooked benefit of the NBN is upload speeds. These increase dramatically from the 1Mbps you have now to 20Mbps or 40Mbps. Cloud computing becomes a lot nicers.

9) Optus include a phone number in their plans but you'll probably pay the extra $10 for unlimited national calls. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

miraant

Thanks, Peter appreciate the detailed response.

I guess there is not much I can do other than wait now.  The graffiti on my property is not nice and I am not looking forward to having another box on my wall outside which seems from looking at the packages, will offer me a slower download service for more money.

I am currently paying $80 a month - have a fast router regularly getting speeds around the clock of 90-100 for download (yes upload is only 1-2) with all the Fetch TV etc perk - so yes the current HFC.  Seems like it will cost me for a new router, and $30 a month more (equivalent package appears to be $110) for speeds that can maybe get to 80 except in peek times.

All in all not much to look forward to with the NBN.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@miraant,

I agree, for existing HFC users (who have had it very good for over a decade) the NBN doesn't offer the same boost as to other parts of the nation from the outset. But the NBN rollout has primarily been about spreading the high speeds to every household and not just inner cities. 

But notable plusses include:

1) The old and failing Optus cable network is being replaced by a fully upgraded cable network (Optus network to be scrapped soon)

2) 40 Mbps upload speeds

3) Suddenly everyone you know has access to high speeds so online products and services should improve to use these new capabilities (normally targetted at the lowest common denominator)

4) The new NBN HFC network should be able to offer speed up to 1000Mbps in the next 12 months.

5) You will be free to select any ISP deal now. Instead of having to chose only from what Optus offer you can try out any other RSPs and many of them are hungry for your custom after being locked out for so long.

Currently Optus offers unlimited NBN with Fetch etc. for $80 a month. But this will mean a speed drop to 50Mbps for you. In practice you're unlikely to see any actual difference in day to day usage surfing, downloading, streaming etc. Its nice to be able to say we have 100Mbps but most of us make very little use of those speeds for the moment. Try the new $80 plan and decide if you really need to pay the $30 more for more speed. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

miraant

HI Peter - thanks again.

As I run a web development and marketing business from home (as well as teenagers streaming all the time), the speed is important.

I have been with Optus for a very long time and would be a pity to leave, but I will definitely be looking around.

Appreciate all the advice.

petergdownload

No probs, there's a lot of alarming headlines out there but its not all quite as bad as it seems. Its a big task and we're in the middle of it so it will take a while to settle back down to the new normal. Until recently Optus (and most Telcos FTM)  we're doing a frankly horrible job of delivering the NBN (didn't help they could always just blame the NBN if anyone complained). This has improved a lot lately so while 80Mbps (Typical Peak Hour) still needs improvement its a lot better than the 50 or less we were routinely getting a while back.

Should be an exciting time for your business as so many more potential customers around the country (and the upload speeds shouldn't hurt). Does sound like the 100Mbps will be needed though.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
28 Kudos
24 Kudos
18 Kudos
17 Kudos