Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
abstractspoon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Wireless mouse/keyboard interferes with Wifi Internet

Hi Crowd

I've just bought a wireless mouse and keyboard and find that it absoltely kills my internet performance.

Either the internet drops out or the speed is reduced by a factor of 8-10.

Both the modem and keyboard/mouse are on 2.4GHz and the modem (Sagemcom F@ST3864V2) does not have an option for 5GHz.

What can I do? I don't want to go back to wired keyboard/mouse and I don't have the opportunity to connect to the modem via ethernet.

Dan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MiCCAS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Wireless mouse/keyboard interferes with Wifi Internet

Hey Dan,

That's a weird one! How frustrating!

I'd recommend taking your keyboard and mouse back to the place of purchase and asking for their advice. You're definitely able to purchase keyboards and mice that won't affet your wireless internet, like the range from Logitech.

Let us know how you go.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button 🙂
0 Kudos
abstractspoon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thx MiCCAS.

Here some better data:

I have a Dell desktop and an Acer laptop both running windows 10. For this test they are both in the same room close together. The Dell shows a weak signal on the Wifi icon; the Acer shows a strong signal.

The Dell has a 'Dell' wireless adapter; the Acer has a Qualcomm Atheros adapter.

The Dell machine dates from 2014; the Acer dates from 2016.

Test 1: Wireless USB keyboard/mouse removed

The Dell gets typical download speeds of 3-6Mbps; the Acer gets 11Mbps. That suggests to me the wireless adapter might be playing a part.

Test 2: Existing Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse I already had for the laptop. Reconnect to wifi network.

The Dell now shows a very weak signal and speeds drop to 0.5-3Mbps, the Acer stays at 11Mbps with a strong signal.

Test 3: New Logitech wireless mouse and HP wireless keyboard. Reconnect to wifi network.

The Dell speed drops yet further to < 0.5Mbps, whilst the Acer remains unaffected at 11Mbps.

0 Kudos
abstractspoon
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately I was right. Further research identifies the specific Dell wifi adapter in my machine as sh*te!

Time to upgrade!

Thx for being here MiCCAS just so I had someone to talk to... 😄

0 Kudos
MiCCAS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hahaha! Glad you figured it out, great job troubleshooting!

You should be able to buy a decent wifi adaptor for around $20 🙂

Great work!

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button 🙂
0 Kudos