Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Jim15
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Wired Ethernet saying 2.4Ghz - Sagemcom Broadband SAS - NBN

I know this has been covered elsewhere generally but I could not find any direct answer to my probably just technical point.

My 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi speeds are fine and everything connects great.

My wired ethernet also looks great and speeds are fine.  The Optus My Gateway web page says I am fine with what should be wired showing as wired.  

My speeds are generally in excess of 50Mbps down and 16 up from outside to any device using internet speed testing (standard urban copper to house).  No complaints as I get what I expect at all times.  Incidentally, the internal 2.4/5Ghz just to router / modem speeds are reassuringly fast (as shown on the Gateway) 

One small "ponderance" perhaps though is why my laptop screen says I am connected via wired (clearly denoted) ethernet but names it using my SSID followed by 2.4GHz...................

For added clarity, the wired options are shown as locked out when my ethernet is connected and the ethernet (wired) sign is clearly shown in use on my home taskbar screen and the symbols confirm wired in use, just with that odd added 2.4Ghz.  As said before the My Gateway page looks as it should and conforms the ethernet is connected as it should be. 

Is this just some convention thing or is there anything else I should know about?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Wired Ethernet saying 2.4Ghz - Sagemcom Broadband SAS - NBN

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that it just took the network name of the first device it connected to.

Can you go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, highlight the one that is wrong, and take a screenshot of that Network Connections page.

Jim15
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cheers,
Kind of thinking along those lines but I freely admit, in my case, that's with not enough IT knowledge. I am just a dad who sets things up and no one cares as long as works type of thing. The rest of my life is elsewhere and at work very happy to leave anything IT to that department.
Anyway, the screenshot as suggested is via the below link. I could not see anywhere allowing a name change (incl. in the My Gateway). No biggie just looks an odd thing that I have not come across before more than anything / perhaps something I should act on. If it were not for this forum I would have probably just accepted whilst working fine.
https://imgur.com/YoKL4hR

Thanks again
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Jim15 wrote:
Cheers,
Kind of thinking along those lines but I freely admit, in my case, that's with not enough IT knowledge.

Haha, I didn't know how to do it either. I had to look it up just now myself. I've renamed "network connections" in the past (which is what I thought you might be referring to), but not "network names" which is what you need to change.

I could not see anywhere allowing a name change 

Its a little technical, but here are the step by step instructions.

0 Kudos
Jim15
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate the response. TBH I very much doubt I would have gotten as far as that as not sure my google search would have driven up that precise avenue even with time.
Registry stuff is beyond where I want to go, and so I will just accept:)........Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Jim15 wrote:
Registry stuff is beyond where I want to go, and so I will just accept:)..

The registry editor can be pretty daunting for some types of changes, but as this one only involves editing some text in a single entry its very simple and safe to do. 

If you are not comfortable doing that, then that's perfectly fine. 

Thanks for your time.

You're welcome!

0 Kudos