Searching...

Winmtr results show high latency and packet loss under optus

[ Edited ]
adventurethis

Hi

I am based in WA and have been having issues with my internet across multiple games, the servers tend to be hosted over in sydney.

Speed tests show normal download and upload

I am seeing a lot of packet loss (sometimes in game overlay reports up to 20%) and often fluctuating latency

I use the NBN optus provided modem (white) with a ethernet conection, my internet is FTTN

I spoke to Activision Blizzard tech support and got this comment

"When your connection reaches one of your ISP hops, the latency (ping response time) is increasing by quite a bit (over 100ms). Then, as it continues to try to reach Blizzard, it looks like there is 1-8% packet loss on several of the hops. This is not something you’d be able to fix on your own, but rather something the ISP would need to perform maintenance to correct."

Here is an image i sent to them with my winmtr results: 

Re: Winmtr results show high latency and packet loss under optus

adventurethis

Here is some further information about this information that Optus may find useful

quoted:

"The 'worst response' on the optus entry point to their network is 136ms, from a router located in Sunshine in Victoria. This is a problem... 33vspr01 is a PE router that should be showing < 20ms to customers in Western Australia, and should only be seen on routes that leave the Optus network in Victoria for peers in that location. Optus' MPLS network should see lots of *** for routes between Perth and Sydney, as there's no layer 3 hops on that network path.

There's an MPLS network that should immediately deliver a layer 3 result from Perth (06LX) to sydney (22RR/22BT) as the first hop, not 33VS (Sunshine Victoria). You shouldn't be seeing a Victorian hop at all from Perth to Sydney"

adventurethis

So is someone from Optus able to investigate this?

Who do i speak to in order to get the ball rolling?

Jimmy14118314

I have the same issues since December now , there are continous speed issues and drop outs ,  and tthe Optus Tecnician  who came to my place was least bothered to trobleshoot and was busy with his personal calls on his Cell phone. Worst Customer service and I am at the verge of going back to Telstra . Becuase Optus cannot fix the issue and now blaming NBN . I have filed complaint to NBN as well .

adventurethis

on futher investigation im thinking that since it’s joining the Amazon network, they are advertising the best path to that network from Melbourne, that’s where it’ll route the data too...so it probably is being routed correctly

however that still doesnt account for why im having issues so early on in wmtr results..i should not be seeing latency that high goin from perth to sydeny, i also should not be seeing packet loss that high 

can we get a response from someone at optus so we can actually have this looked at

adventurethis

Any Optus repsonse to this? I mean it seems as though I will need to switch to a different ISP if i can't get a solution

[ Edited ]
adventurethis

Is it worth contacting the TIO or ACCC if i cant get a response and solution from Optus?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos