Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
JYL
New Contributor
New Contributor

Will there be cancellation fee if I do not switch to NBN

Hi there,

I got a mail from Optus saying NBN is ready in my area. I need to switch to NBN in 90 days. If I do not switch, I will be disconnected in November. 

I would like to know what will happen to my contract if I do not switch to NBN. I'm on a 24 month contract of cable connection with optus now. If Optus disconnect my cable service in Nov, does it mean my contract will be cancelled automatically? Will there be any early cancellation fee? Thanks.

H.B

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Will there be cancellation fee if I do not switch to NBN

You will probably have the following term in you CIP contract:

Changing the access method

We may change the access method for your service for the remainder of your minimum term and move you to: • A new plan that is reasonably comparable with your current plan; or • An alternative plan, but only if we take reasonable steps to address any detrimental impact that the change may have on you that is not minor. If we change your access method, you must provide all reasonable assistance to enable the change to be implemented, including access to your premises and equipment. Unless otherwise agreed with you, we will not charge you for installing or equipment we supply to you to use with the changed access method. Alternatively, we may ask you to change your access method during your minimum term even if the change may have a detrimental impact on you that is more than minor. If you refuse our request, we may cancel the service by giving you at least 90 days’ notice. If the service is cancelled, you will be liable for charges incurred up to cancellation, but you will not be liable for any cancellation fee or outstanding equipment charges. We will contact you to discuss the details of any changes we plan to make to your access method prior to making the change.

So the way I read that is you can tell Optus you want out and they will cancel your service with 3 months notice (you may be able to request an earlier end date) You will only be up for 3 months or less penalty.

This gives you three options:

1) Simplest thing is just accept Optus offer to swap you onto an equivilent plan that will be NBN related. Probably the $80 a month with FetchTV? No calls included, but unlimited calls for $20 more? You will likely find your speed will drop if you're on 100Mbps cable - the new Optus offering for $80 is 25Mbps. For another $20 you can have 100Mbps. Your current contract remaining time should be unchanged

2) Do nothing and drop off the internet in three months or so. You'll lose any landline number to. You can reconnect back into the internet anytime after that with any ISP but probably not what you want to do?

3) Shop around and arrange for any other ISP to hook you up to the NBN. The nice thing about this is that the NBN cables are totally different to the Optus cable. So you can keep your Optus broadband running up to (and even after) the NBN is hooked up (no down time!). You should talk to Optus and get a confirmation (get a reference number) that you can decline the Optus transfer to the NBN and finish the service amicably on an agreed date.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Bayluwa
New Contributor
New Contributor

Do not switch to NBN. It does not work. I lost all my internet connection after switching to NBN with no solution from Optus yet!

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Bayluwa

Not switching isn't an option. If you want internet then Optus will only maintain your connection for another 90 days or so. After that no service and NBN is the only alternative.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors