Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Will Optus Contact me to Offer NBN after Cable ? (Current Cable Customer)

DarrenH

I have just had NBN connected in my street. Apparentyl HFC !!!!

I have had letters sent in the mail offering NBN from Telstra, TPG, IINET with bundles, TV etc.

No word from optus, my own provider.

Has anyone received any offers, via mail/ phone/ e-mail to upgrade to NBN ?  or do I sit an wait and hope?

tia

Darren

Re: Will Optus Contact me to Offer NBN after Cable ? (Current Cable Customer)

IHateYes

Sure they will contact you and offer cable.

Then they will arrange NBN to come and set it up. You'll take a day off work and NBN will arrive, scratch their heads and tell you that they can't deliver NBN over Optus cable and leave.

A month later they will come back, so you will take a day off work (not that Optus will tell you this btw, just keep checking the my Optus app for your date) and they will string NBN to your house, but leave it there on the wall, and tell you someone else has to come and get it into your house.

Then you'll shout at someone on live chat and they will give you a date for someone to come and finish the install. You will take a day off and nobody will turn up.

Don't expect a call from Optus though. 

But do expect texts telling you your NBN is now active and you should plug your modem in. Into what I have no idea....

Best of luck.

DarrenH

One word

'OMG'

Solution

petergdownload

Hey Darren,

Welcome to the NBN. NBNCo was ordered to try use the existing Optus and Telstra HFC cables to deliver the NBN. Unfortunately the Optus HFC network was found in too bad a state to use and will be scrapped. The Telstra HFC network will be used to supply NBN to your home. 

One of the great things about the NBN is choice. You can now select any ISP to provide high speed internet. If you want to contact Optus and have them do it then its not hard. Otherwise have a look around and google "Best NBN plans" and see where it leads you. Note that whatever plan you are on will be being shut down within 3 months or so, so now is the time to start doing some research.You won't be able to just transfer your existing plan and $ across to the NBN.

Peter Gillespie

DarrenH

Thanks Pete, great information ....I appreciate it..

Spoiler
Spoiler

SNTraj

I have received conflicting advice regarding the ability to connect to the NBN via Optus coax cable. How confident are you that the NBN cannot be connected via the existing Optus coax cable?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

100% 

The NBN will only use a connection from the Telstra HFC cable (or another technology) - note that internally the NBN might use the old Optus cable to your existing point but external to the house its Telstra cable only.

Check here to see what technology you have been assigned (it may not even be cable at all)

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
13 Kudos
12 Kudos