Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Will NBN install a telephone wall socket?

Hello,
So im getting nbn FTTC in a few weeks and i dont have any telephone wa sockets. I am in need of a new telephone wall socket but am wondering if the nbn technician will install it free of charge or if i'll have to get a private technician to install one.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Will NBN install a telephone wall socket?

Do you have any conduit or cable leading up to the house?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have conduit leading up to the house. 😀
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So if you have a conduit but have never had a Telstra line before then you will almost certainly be charged a new service fee of ~$300. 

The problem you will probably have is making Optus aware of your exact situation so that they can organise the correct work. If they don't know about no-socket and no-cabling to the pit they/NBN may not send the correct tech out the first time resulting in delays.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ah ok, if I get a registered private technician to install a new wall socket will this be a fadter way of resolving the delays?
Cheers for the help!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Bill95 wrote:
if I get a registered private technician to install a new wall socket will this be a fadter way of resolving the delays?

I doubt it would make any difference except to increase your cost. The NBN tech will still need to be the one to run the cable from the Telstra pit to your wall socket. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So the nbn technician will install a new socket?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Bill95 

So I take it you are on Optus Cable? If you want no down time then FTTC offers you a special opportunity. Leave the Optus account 100% alone. It will keep ticking over providing high speed broadband (for at least the next three months).

Next organise for another RSP to hook you up to the NBN. You might need to cancel the Optus booking first. Key thing is it offers month to month contracts and no exit fees (which a lot do these days). My suggestion is a company called Aussie Broadband highly rated with a local support team and good at NBN migrations.

Then sit back as its installed. FWIW my undertanding is that so long as existing conduits to the front of the house are in place the NBNCo guy will install everything else required. (including the wall plate). If you want to really make it easier just get a drawstring through the conduit all the way back to where you want the wall plate and they'll be doubly happy (but they also have the tools to push a line down the conduit easily enough.

I don't know about the $300 services fee but there's nothing you can do about that anyway (it either is applied or not).

Note NBN generally won't put a wall plate in a cupboard or bedroom (or room that could be a bedroom). If all goes well you'll end up with a single unbroken copper cable from the pit to your wall. You will get a NBN NTD modem. When you plug that in it will activate a circuit in the pit after about 30 minutes.

After you have the NBN up and running you now have several choices.

1) Request Optus transfer you over to the new NBN connection. It takes minutes to switch provides now you are on the NBN. Make sure they cancel the cable when you jump.
or
2) Cancel the Optus account and stay which your new RSP

Enjoy the NBN

PS Don't choose Telstra for FTTC NBN as they limit your top speed to 50/20

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Bill95 wrote:
So the nbn technician will install a new socket?

For new installs, yes. That part of what the ~$300 covers.

I have FTTC that was installed for an existing service and NBN replaced my existing wall socket, while not the same situation as you, just confirms that they do wall socket work.