cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor tigerstoroar
Occasional Contributor

Wifi dropouts after connection to NBN

Connected to Optus NBN on 09/03/2019 after having used Optus cable for a number of years. 

Initial cinnection appeared OK, but since day 2, have experienced frequent wifi dropouts, inability to connect to Netflix or Chromecast and at times a complete lack of visibility of any wifi networks. My wife and I rely for work on a stable internet connection, which at the moment is sadly lacking. 

Have contacted Optus support - both by phone and by chat line  - over the past 5 days. Their support model appears to be broken. Long waits on phone before being connected, having to go through the same story each time, having the chat line crash. 

Support asked me to check NBN speed - 48 down and 18 up. Support’s only suggestions were to restart the NBN box and the Optus modem (Sagemcom Gateway F@st 3864V3 AC) and to try altering a couple of settings on the modem. None of these made any difference. Said that they had passed the issue to NBN and that the response had been that there was no issue. 

Now say say that they have once again raised it to NBN. I fell like I’ve become a ping pong between the two. 

Have raised a complaint with the TI Ombudsman as, in my opinion, Optus is not providing the service that they’re contracted for. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wifi dropouts after connection to NBN

As you've jumped straight to the last step (TIO Escalation), you've almost closed all other pathways of support to you. You need to remember the TIO is an office of last resort, not an "Office of getting your way". 

Can I ask, what do you expect the TIO to do for you? Because their usual solutions will be "You can leave Optus for free (ie: wipe the contract)". Is this what you want?

You need to remember also, your contract does not stipulate "What hardware?", "Your Uptime" and other things. It's simply an agreement for you to remain an Optus customer. The internet in Australia DOES NOT come with any promise of uptime, and I note you typed "We rely on it for work", then you need to not choose a consumer grade service with no protections.

As for the drop outs...

Rather than using chat, which if you have to reboot the modem kills the chat. I would suggest picking up the phone and speaking to them directly. WiFi drop outs are notoriously difficult to diagnose because they aren't Optus or NBN's problem. This is an internal fault within the home. 

How far are the devices from the F@ST? 

How many devices are hanging off the WiFi? 

Is it the White or Grey F@ST?

Do you have a large/complex/significant structure? (ie: double brick, alumnium, etc). The reason I ask this, WiFi signals can be interfered with and can't penetrate certain kinds of structures.

What a lot of customers have done, is disable the WiFi on the F@ST and used things like Ubiquiti AC-AP Lite or another "WiFi router" (disabled the routing part and used it as an extender or stronger antenna).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Jeneral, thanks for your response. 

To to cover your points:

My decision to raise a complaint with the TIO is driven by my frustration at trying to get any action from Optus. Ideally, I’d like an on site visit from a technician to identify the causes of the issue an d to provide a solution. I’ve requested this from Optus, but get neither a yes or a no, but instead, they go over ground already covered and which has not provided a solution. As I’ve already said, their support model seems to be broken. The number of Google hits returned when searching for wifi dropouts and Optus would seem to indicate this, as would the number of similar posts within this forum. 

The he drop outs using chat seem to be caused by an overload on their chat portal. I’m accessing it via mobile data on my mobile phone, not via wifi. The latter would be pretty pointless. 

Modem is the black version. The devices e.g iPad can be sitting right next to the modem & the issue occurs, even if it’s the only device attached. At most, there would be 4 devices at a time attached. 

The cable set set up we formerly had, also supplied by Optus, did not have any of these issues - again, another frustration as I’m paying more, but the service is inferior. 

Re the building set up - a brick free standing residence. That the issue occurs when the device is right next to the modem would seem to negate that the issue is a structural one. 

0 Kudos
Contributor soetes
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem, also after years of Optus cable without any problems. I thouight it was the Sagemcom rpouter, but after I eventually got onto a case manager, he told me that I could use my Apple router straight into the NBN box. I did this but still have the same WiFi problems, which I nevber had before the NBN connection.

This makes no sense. The Apple network worked perfectly and robustly for years. Now, it's dropping WiFi clients, refusing to connect new ones and claiming to mobile loin attempts that the WiFi password is incorrect!

0 Kudos
Contributor soetes
Contributor

Speed Test comparison.png

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If it’s rejecting the password this is nothing to do with NBN and everything to do with your hardware.

whoever told you “it’s caused by nbn”, has been dishonest.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

After raising a complant with the TIO I was contacted by an Optus case manager. He said that they can see the droputs at their end - I don'y know if this is the case or not. He offered to provide a replacement NBN box and router, which arrive late yesterday. I've set these up this afternoon and will see how stable this is. I know that I still can't get Chromecast to connect to the wifi network. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Connected the new modem, but dropouts continuing. 

This is morning connected my old Apple modem directly to the NBN box and have turned off wifi on the Optus modem. Connected the Optus modem to the Apple modem. 

All wifi devices now operating as expected - no dropouts on laptop, iPad, mobile phone and Chromecasting working as well. Landline phone also working. 

I can can only surmise that the supplied Sagemcom modems are just not up to the job. 

No no return call from Optus case manager after the initial call offering to supply a new modem. I was expecting a follow up call from him as to whether or not the new modem had resolved the issue. 

0 Kudos