Searching...
Highlighted

Wifi connection problem

Mensa440

Fon Wifi and Teltra Air keep 'bumping' my Optus connection. They don't appear in the list in 'manage network settings'. How do I stop them interfering? I am using Windows 7 and ave NBN.

John

Re: Wifi connection problem

caaf

Hi John,

Could you explain further? Mind if it relates to an outside wifi network affecting your wifi network then the main consideration would be to scan for surrounding wifi networks (and channel number) and pick the quietist spot in the range then set your network to that particular channel.

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. Smiley Wink
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mensa440

Dave, I'm at home and my laptop automatically connects to my Optus router.  However every few minutes I find that either FON Wifi or Telstra Air have connected and displaced the Optus connection.  Clicking on the internet icon at the bottom of the screen shows all the networks available including FON and Telstra Air.  None of the others bother me!  When I open the network and sharing centre and then go to managewireless networks all I see is 3 Optus networks.  I want to stop FON and Telstra from interfering!

John

Davelew

Hi John

Butting in here with a thought. If you can't click on those networks to 'forget network'' I presume you must have a Telstra log in and password to have access.

See if changing you Telstra password stops the connection.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mensa440

Dave, I have no login with Telstra.  My wife has a Telstra mobile and account.  Both FON wifi and Telstra Air are unsecured networks (as my AV programme keeps telling me!!) so don't need a password.

John

Davelew

Hi

That's not quite true to activate Telstra air you need to download their app and complete a login process.

That's why I wondered if changing the password would work.

When you are connected to Telstra Air are you able to access the internet or is it just trying to connect to the service?

Dave

Mensa440

I haven't downloaded an app Dave.  The only thing on my PC connected with Telstra is a record of my wife's log-in details.  Neither FON wifi nor Telstra Air give me interent access - they merely take over from Optus.  Very frustrating!  They have interupted my reply!

Davelew

It is a long time since I have used windows 7 but the link below is how to set your preferred wifi connection. May not help but could be worth a check if you haven't done so already:

http://www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-set-preferred-wireless-networks-in-windows-7/amp/

Dave

Mensa440

I have tried this Dave - but neither FON wifi nor Telstra Air appear in the list when I access manage my networks.  My regular Optus connection is at the top.

Davelew

I don't think they will appear as you have not actually connected to them.

How long has the problem been occurring? Have you had any software update just prior to this happening?

I wonder if a near neighbour has Telstra broadband and switched on Telstra Air on their router and thus is what you are picking up but saying that it shouldn't happen that you are bumped of a connected network.,

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos