cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wifi connection fails on some mobile phones

Just got hooked onto NBN via cable (was before on Optus' own cable network) so Optus replaced the router/modem. We used to have an Optus/NetgearCVG824G, now replaced by a Sagemcom and an ARRIS NBN cable/ethernet router box. 

Before transferring to the new router both of our mobile phones could connect to wifi without issue. Now our laptops connect fine but only one of the phones. The phone that won't connect is a Samsung J7 (2016) the other a Samsung A20. On the J7 phone it says "connecting" every 10 seconds but never it connects successfully.  If I set wifi security to "open" it works perfectly but not once WPA/WPA2 are enabled.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Wifi connection fails on some mobile phones

Hey NOmad,

Has the J7 got the latest software installed?

Here are some other troubleshooting steps to try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, that was one of the first things I thought of. It took me the better of two days to download and install 2.5 GB of updated operating system and associated utilities on my phone. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. My wife called Optus about this and they said it must be my phone that's the problem. I can however still start our old router (Netgear/optus CVG824G) and my phone connects to it immediately without any problem. I may have to disable WIFI on the new router and hook the old one up as well, just for the WIFI connection (as suggested in another thread). Seems a bit like crossing the river to fetch water but what do you do? I have spent over 30 years as a network engineer managing large numbers of servers, computer networks, etc, for hundreds of customers in a number of countries but this one has me stumped. Does anyone know if there is newer firmware for the router that might sort this out?  It's a SAGEMCOM F@ST5366TN...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes I performed all the "other troubleshooting steps" and none of them made any difference. The only thing that works so far is to re-instate the old router. It may not have the faster WIFI speeds that the new one has but it WORKS. 🐵

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi again,

Last update is the latest firmware version for the 5366TN is SG4Y1T000085. 

Good to see you used your expertise to get it working 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors