cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

R-Lima
New Contributor
New Contributor

WiFi Network - Two Names, one with _5GHz at end

We've recently been changed over to nbn from Optus Cable (and I cannot express how appalling the service is). When we got our new modem we were given a card with the WiFi Network Name, and password.  When I see the options of which network to connect to there are two: e.g. OPTUS_99AAA9 and OPTUS_99AAA9_5GHz . The password only works with the first version.  Can anyone please tell me what the second version is - I'm hoping a faster service, as we’re paying for speed pack 3 and if that's what I’m currently connecting to it’s disgustingly slow. 

I’ve been trying for days to get through to technical support, but life is too short, so I'm hoping another user can help me. Many thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WiFi Network - Two Names, one with _5GHz at end

The modem is broadcasting dual band WiFi using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Not all devices have the hardware to use both such as my own laptop that can only connect using 2.4Ghz. The video below gives a rather good explanation on the difference between the 2 different frequencies.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wifi is not directly related to the NBN speed (i.e. you can have great NBn speed and poor wifi) but yes 5G is faster than non 5G.   

You should see passwords for the modem on the sticker on the base of the modem.

If one doesn't work then perhaps try a factory reset on the modem (pin in small hole).

Peter Gillespie

R-Lima
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the speedy response guys!  I've connected everything to the 5GHz version and it seems to be running better on the MacBooks, but 2.4 was better on the TV.  Anyway, we'll see what happens in peak hour, but hopefully this makes me less frustrated.  Thanks again.

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Excellent Smiley Very Happy

Top Contributors