cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: WiFi Issues sagemcom F@ST 3864

The distance between the Modem and WiFi areas vary between 6 and 16 metres.  Just to point out that the single band 2.4 GHZ Netgear CG3000 v2 did a good job over those distances so I was expecting slightly better performance, yes I only said slightly as I know a million things can interfere with a signal including other signals, so I was not expecting the world.  This is not a good way to learn about WiFi, I prefer to liken it to magic, considering the rollout of the NBN will just make the airwaves more congested and make WiFi an ever diminishing return on investment.

Also an older house means less powerpoints and none in halls so the option to use Power Line devices had been investigated and discounted as not worth while.  All that said if I knew what was on offer I would have waited until the death knell of the old system to change over given the benefits versus the issues I have had so far.  A freind who changed over around the same time as me was still having problems with WiFi reception for much the same reason as me - an older house.  I have managed to use his old CG3000 as wireless access point by connecting it and the Sagemcom WiFi Router together using some Cat 6.  Thus extending the signal successfully to the corporate hammock which is obviously a must and covering all of the areas that were previously accesable via WiFi.  His normally chilled wife was frustrated and stressed by the BS with the NBN and specifically the way Optus provided its "service".  Unlike me she did not waste quite a few hours talking to Tech Support - what a sensible thing she is.

This is not a dig at the moderators as you lot have a horrible job, which you are doing fantastically, trying to placate people who have landed here after being practically waterboarded by the Optus Tech Support phone system.  Without adequate support, and documentation, I fail to understand how Optus can expect thier staff to answer more than simple queries. 

I think I had better go and have a cup of tea and a lie down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A couple of things have happenned with this issue in the past week.  The first was that someone from the Fixed Resolution Team contacted me about the problem and stated that he would wanted to hear what was about the cabling.  I stated that it was never about the cabling as the Optus Sales area neglected to book the Technician to do he cabling originally so that was postponed from the 15th of march until the 3rs of April, the next available appointment for an Optus field tech.  I stated that my issue has always been poor WiFi signal in the house since the new WiFi router started being used.  He stated that he would pass my issue to the Tech Support area to help me troubleshoot the WiFi problems.  I stated that I am not convinced that they will be able to help as I need access to the log data that the WiFi Router to see what errors are being encountered woth the WiFi signal.  He stated that the Tech is not one of those on the phone support so should be able to help.  I also flagged my frustration trying to get through to phone tech support sometimes needing to call 3 or 4 times as I get sent of to prearranged solutions and then cut off.  I told him that I would replace the WiFi Router in a second ..... but as Optus would not give me the SIP information the NBN connection would work but no home phone .......

Long story short the tech rang and said he could not help, apart from general trouble shooting like change channel or reset the WiFi Router etc, with the modem and referred me to Sagemcom Tech Support so I can arrange a time to talk to one of their Techs.  Not sure how this is going to help.  But will ring on Tuesday and will see what happens form there.  This is so *&*(^&^* frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Last Tuesday, 18th April 2017,  I contacted Sagemcom in Victoria and talked to Richard, yes I am going to name names, and told him about the issues with the Sagemcom F@at 3864AC WiFi Router and asked him to get a teck to call me on either my Landline or Mobile, said Landline was preferable as I would be home.  The issues being sh!t WiFi coverage within the house and also that I need access to detials about theRouter so I can try and troubleshoot it like.

1) Details about the signal strength the the 2.4 and 5 ghz WiFi bands

2) Manufacturers WiFi range estimation in metres

3) Access to a detailed log file to help trouble shoot the issues I am having with WiFi and a direct cable connection for a hot spot and

4) A comprehensive users manual for the device.

It is now the 25th of April 2017 and I will be ringing the Fixed Resolution team member about this on Wednesday and also Sagemcom.  Initially I planned to publish their name and number 1 character at a time each day I am waiting for a response until I get a solution to this issue.  If it is blocked here then I will post it on the Optus FB site.  Does this appear fair and reasonable?  I am getting desparate as every time I ring or Chat I get fed a load of false promises and BS and I am just sick of trying to get answers.  Interested on the Yes Crowd input.  If I could only get the SIP codes I could ditch the Sagemcrap for a Decent WiFi Router with VOIP.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

i feel your pain, those sagemcom routers are garbage. including the "new and improved" wireless AC one. there are several things to try, login  to your sagemcom router, 192.168.0.1 and go advanced, wireless, advances wireless settings, try channel, 1, or 6, or 11. turn xpress mode on, and see if it helps your wifi any. the sagemcom routers are cheaply made. its another attempt at optus cost cutting. failing that, i would just use a better router. sorry, but yea. floptus is great at handing out sub par equipment and speeds.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@kimandleeI have already changed the channel for the sagemcrap though not mucked around with the express mode.  I have actually turned the WiFi off and now using the Netgear CG3000 as a WiFi Hotspot but i am still gettting drop outs  and i suspect it is stillthe Sagemcrap.  Had a call in with Sagemcom the Tuesday after Easter and again Wednesday after Anzac Day and still no response.  So it appear that they are as hopeless as Optus with hardware issues.  I cannot replace the Router at present as without the SIP details I will still need the Sagemcrap for calls - thout it sound like someone is using a mower in the background.  Knowing what I now I would have put off the change to Optarse NBN until they threatened to cut the service off completely.  The Phone Tech Support is a joke and I have been waiting nearly 6 weeks for some resolution.  If I could get the SIP information I would run a nail through the Sagemcrap in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That's really disappointing to hear Albus 😞 Had our Tech team provided you with a reference number for the issue that we can take a look at?

If you'd like to PM through your internet account details (username/ phone number/ account number) full name and date of birth we'll check out what's been going on for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Noticing the identical WiFi issues with the Sagemcom 3864 compared to the older Netgear CG3000.

The range of the Sagemcom is simply quite inferior which will force me to ditch it in favour of  a higher performing WiFi router.

Fortunately I don't have Voip so the SIP constraint is not an issue.

It does seem quite baffling how with ongoing improvements from manufacturers with networking offerings that Optus's product Division could get it so wrong by going with a device such as the Sagemcom 3864 that results in such damage to its brand offering from its customer base.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus don't apparently care about damage to their brand that is being caused by the monstrosity that is the Sagemcrap.  I think that the WiFi  issues stem from the fact they went for the cheapest hardware solution available as I think that Telstra also use a similar Sagemcom branded Router too but the issue is posibly the internal WiFi Antennae.  I have seen product shots during numerous online searches showing the the antennae lying diagonally across the interior of the case which is probably not good for providing a good strong signal.  Also the NBN 'gateway' could also cause extra interference to the WiFi signal.  All in all though a pretty ordinary piece of hardware.  Other searches on this site show issues pairing it with other WiFi routers which are being used as Hot Spots is even problematic making the Sagemcom a perfdect all-rounder ..... can't bat, can't bowl, but can field a bit. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

been doing a lot of reading and searching. from my understanding (not the most tech savvy person), the best thing to completely replace the sagemcom router with a BYO and lose voip? which from my understanding is the optus home phone line? 

so if im going to not use my phone line and opt for a non phone line plan, will i have to recontrct with optarse?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I supppose the first thing to ask is if your plan includes the phone line as well.  If it doesn't just go out and purchase the WiFi Router that best suits your needs as the WiFi Router just needs to be NBN ready but you will still have to keep the Sagemcrap if there are line issues as Optarse only supports that device (badly).  Otherwise you would have to see if you can break your contract with Optarse based on what they told you about the WiFi Router when you signed up for the service - because they told me the Sagemcrap was much better than the Netgear NG3000 which is total rubbish based on the WiFi range alone and it appears less stable too as it also has trouble maintaining a connection with another Router WiFi as a hotspot.  You could try the TIO, though you will need a complaint number from Optarse first, or maybe even Fairtrading in your state looking at fitness for purpose of the Sagemcrap.

Top Contributors