cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor robgf
New Contributor

Why does NBN keep dropping out?

After almost a decade of near perfect cable connection with Optus I've been on NBN for about 2 months and it drops out all the time. At least once a week it will go down and god help you if it's raining.

Why is it so rubbish? Can anything be done to make it anything resembling reliable?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why does NBN keep dropping out?

What technology NBN? FTTN

FWIW once a week is probably within acceptable residential plan parameters. The issue can also be the modems fault (generally such a device should automatically reconnect after a minute - sounds like this is not happening). You could investigate buying a better quality modem ($100-$200)?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor robgf
New Contributor

It's FTTC

I'm using the Optus supplied modem and dropping out regularly doesn't sound reasonable to me, especially when the old obsolete cable technology was 100% reliable

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Joseph_Bader
New Contributor

I have been with optus since 2004.

I have the same issue since the installation of NBN 3 months ago.

Optus replaced the old modem but it did not help.

A tecnician added a filter to the cable entering the nbn box which added drop outs to live streaming.  I had to remove the filter and I am back to ground zero.

I am considering buying a D-Link modem if it keeps my landline connected or maybe move to another supplier.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry for the delay getting back Rob - How goes the connection?

Dropouts on FTTC indicate something is wrong with the line or modem (i.e. they don't occur in a correct installation). If the modem has been swapped over then that mostly rules the device out. That said apparently routers with a Broadcom chip deal with line stability better then others. You can pick a cheap one ($40) off GumTree for testing out if you want. This thread is on FTTN but also applies to FTTC (both have instablity that occurs because of the last bit of copper.

The other big factor is usually the cabling in your house. You should only have a single phone outlet in your house now with all other points properly disconnected. Any old ADSL filter should not be on the line. If you are getting issues then its worth considering getting a cabler to run a new single line from the front of the property to the NBN modem.

And of course it is the RSPs responsiblty to fix the service. It seem like the NBN Tech (that Optus called out) found something but needs to be called back as the issue is not yet resolved. Note that they are not responsible for internal wiring.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Joseph_Bader ,

As for the post above, always mention what NBN technology you have if looking for answers. HFC still?

This tech can be prone to dropouts and if it is still occurring then as Optus to get the NBN Co tech out again to have another go. It might require work in the street to make sure all cable connections are solid.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos