Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
vk7oo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Whitelist an IP address

Hi there

I'm having trouble accessing a specific website via Optus NBN and occasionally Optus Mobile.

The DNS resolves but the connection times out. This is most but not all the time & I have to hotspot off my mobile to access the website (just once this has not helped). My assumption is that the adddress is being blacklisted, so I'm keen to get arouind that by whitelisting the site/address.

How do I do that?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Whitelist an IP address

If the IP has been blacklisted they are unlikely to tell you let alone unblock it.

Its more than likely to at be a DNS error even though you say the domain gets resolved.

Try bypassing the Optus DNS in your device (not the Optus router) by using 8.8.8.8 (google) or 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) static DNS.

vk7oo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I don't know if it's been blacklisted, but it seems to follow the model of dynamic blacklisting - where an IP is blocked for a set numbers of hours & the un blacklisted just to be blocked again shortly afterwards.

DNS resolves & never changes but IP address does not ping most of the time. If it pings, it is accessible

I have tried 8.8.8.8 to no effect (since DNS is not where the problem is)

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@vk7oo wrote:

I don't know if it's been blacklisted, but it seems to follow the model of dynamic blacklisting - where an IP is blocked for a set numbers of hours & the un blacklisted just to be blocked again shortly afterwards.

Maybe its just self hosted or on an unreliable host.

I have tried 8.8.8.8 to no effect (since DNS is not where the problem is)

Is the IP address that google returns the same as what Optus returns? Optus DNS servers do have lots of problems.

Unless the Optus DNS entry is stale and the IP you mange to ping is not actually for the domain you intended. 

0 Kudos
vk7oo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, to confirm what is happening I have tried these things

1 - DNS settings of 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.0.1 - ping requests timeout & website does not load

2 - DNS settings of 8.8.8.8 only - ping requests timeout & website does not load

3 -DNS settings of 192.168.0.1 only - ping requests timeout & website does not load

each time I flush the dns cache and the website resolves to the same IP address

If I change my wifi connection from the NBN to a hotspot off my phone the website still resolves to the same address but now it pings and loads properly.

This is happening on 2 computers on WIFI and a third wired computer (which I have not tried to hotspot), so it points to an issue with the NBN connection.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe its a route problem. If you run a tracert on both NBN and the hotspot how to they compare?

0 Kudos