cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ourhouse
New Contributor
New Contributor

Which wifi device in my house is using up the bandwidth?

Hello,

How can i find out which wifi device in my house is using up the bandwidth? We have an Optus modem - Sagemcom F@ST3864V2. We have a number of housemates but I pay the NBN bill so want to be able to work out who's using it the most.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Which wifi device in my house is using up the bandwidth?

@ourhouseThe post does not have enough info in it, so to help could you please answer the following queries

1) Do you want to split the NBN bill based on your housemates data usage?

2) Are there Ethernet and/or wi-fi connections to the modem?

3) Do you want visitors to use the wi-fi when they visit?

4). Is it okay to only allow specific devices access to the modem (aka internet)?

5) Are you okay to pay for additional equipment? If yes is there a max budget?

0 Kudos
ourhouse
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello

Thanks for the offer to assist. Please see my responses below.

1) Do you want to split the NBN bill based on your housemates data usage? - Not necessarily, I want to ensure that if someone is hogging the bandwidth, we can have a discussion to make sure everyone gets sufficient bandwidth for their needs.

2) Are there Ethernet and/or wi-fi connections to the modem? Everything is connected via wifi.

3) Do you want visitors to use the wi-fi when they visit? Yes, I would.

4). Is it okay to only allow specific devices access to the modem (aka internet)? I'd like to allow anyone who I give the password to, to be able to access the internet.

5) Are you okay to pay for additional equipment? If yes is there a max budget? Yes, I would like to keep it under $200 but not sure what is required.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@ourhouseThanks for answering the questions as they helped allot in figuring out what you want to do and unfortunately you will need extra equipment as I am not aware of any of the normal modems that either the RSP supply or people buy from say Officeworks have the feature you want where you can check who is using the bandwidth at a point in time (last x minutes is probably more accurate way of checking BTW).

Sounds like you may want to have a read of the following articles/pages/threads and see if any will help or give you some pointers of where to look or what to google:

https://www.technicallywizardry.com/raspberry-pi-network-monitor/

https://www.instructables.com/Bandwidth-Monitor (this one read for the software they use).

There are other options, but they will cost allot more and require you to buy commercial networking equipment or buy a PC to do the monitoring.

Another option is to head over to whirlpool and see if anyone else has asked about monitoring bandwidth and what they did if anything about it.

0 Kudos
ourhouse
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thankyou, I will have a read of your suggestions.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @ourhouse.

As mentioned the Optus basic router Can't do what you want.

However I suggest it would be well worth spending a bit too get a more powerful router that can do all you want and more. Not least for the improved wifi performance. I'd suggest you get the house mates to chip in $40 each and get this:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/networking/modems-&-routers/77927-rt-ac86u?

It has a very straight forward interface.

Each device connected can be easily identified and labelled (i.e Bill's Laptop).

You can set on off schedules

You can view data usage in realtime or daily hourly historic usage going back months. All in nice graphs.

It has a guest wifi option you can hand out to visitors

And you might like to get into the QOS functions. Again very easy to use but they allow you to prioritise some connections over others. So if you find a data hog you can perhaps limit their speeds. Or give your PC priority.

Best of all you can take your time with setup. Just unplug the Optus modem and have a play with the new modem setup. Something goes wrong or you need more time just plug the old Optus router back in for a while. Stops you housemates complaining you broke the internet
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

0 Kudos