Searching...

Whats going on Optus

m3talun1t3d

So here is my story, now mind you this is only in relation to my latest account with optus. I still have various other services in different locations for family and have so since 2009.

So in August of 2017 my estate had been switched onto the NBN and of course the first ad to come into the mailbox was from Optus, saying NBN was available from $60 a month. Wow, ill go for the 100Mbps connection as my Plex server is constantly downloading and uplaoding information, would like the bandwidth. Now before anyone jumps in and says these speeds are never guarenteed, I am aware of this, and is not my issue what so ever.

So once my optus package came in, it included a Fetch TV box (which I never said Yes to) and my paper weight of a Sagemcom modem. In my excitement I had set the hardware up and never was able to land a stable connection. Contacted optus and they sent a tech out the next week and got the internet going (barely). So once he left, I had internet for all of 3 hours. Then was never able to get connected again. Did some research on the net (4G connection) and noticed that nearly everyone was replacing their modems with literally any other type of NBN compatible modem with success. I was due to upgrade my network gear due to the new NBN connection so I thought I would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I purchased my new Modem/Router and hey presto!!! I was connected and successfully. Browsing the internet and watching Youtube like a complete boss (L.A Beast!!!!) 

2 Weeks later, its was like i didnt change anything. Lost my internet and rebooting the router was unsuccessful. Contacted optus, they did their usual line tests and all that, then all of a sudden, my hardware was the problem. So I plugged in their paper weight and proved to them its also their hardware. They sent out a new modem. Becuase I am impatient when it comes to my computers I decided to plug my modem back in and then like they flicked over a switch (we will get to this later) I was back in the internet. My new Sagemcom modem came in, plugged it in, and yea, didnt work... didnt cry too much about it because my internet was working though my hardware again. Also my hardware allowed me to configure the settings the way I wanted my network to run (port forwarding/ virtual servers etc.). That worked on and off for about 6 months constantly restarting the modem to get reconnected.

Last Friday (Today is Sunday) I had jumped on their online chat to see exactly why I had to constantly restart my modems to get connected to the internet. Went throught the normal troubleshooting steps until it was discovered I was not using their supplied Sagemcom modem. All of a sudden my hardware was the reason the internet didnt work. So I felt as if I had to school the tech support into what was happening. So instead of explaining what happens, I had to request someone call me back due to the fact the tech support rep was oblivious to the fact that restarting the modem would have disconnected the chat session. So once I was connected on the phone, I followed the instruction of removing my hardware and installing the Sagemcom modem. I couldnt connect. Then the rep instructed me that I was going on hold for a minute and he would be back. 5 minutes later I am talking to someone completely different from a different company (Sagemcom). So I had politely apologized on their behalf for wasting their time and disconnected the call.

Then when I was connected again, I explained what happened (Not in a good mood now) so explained to the representative that all the notes are on my file, put me on hold, read them and then lets continue (this task proved to be very difficult due to the fact that she took me off hold and asked me the questions that were answered in my notes (at this point I had already I.D'd myself) After that issue, she explained to me that because of the type of technology available to me (FTTN) that the profile on my DSL settings was Standard when it should have been Stable. I explained to her that if this was the case, and Optus sold me a service knowing the type of technology available in my premises and then still failed to change this setting some 8 months into the contract. She acknowledged that unfortunately this was the case. I told her that I was very upset and would like to cancel my contract. Due to the circumstances, she did not hesitate to pass me on to the cancellations team.

The cancellations team are probably the only team who really seem to care about their customers. My retentions guy was great. Helped me troubleshoot my technical issue, sympathised with me at the fact that the setting hadnt been changed since signing the contract, then gave me the final step. He had decided to put me back on the phone to Sagemcom to get some support and see if they could assist in getting the modem to work. I followed all instructions from the rep at Sagemcom, to no avail.

30 minutes later I got a callback from the guy from the Retentions team, asked if that helped, and I told him they couldnt do anything. Then he said "I am sorry, but it does look like Optus is incapable of supplying you a stable service and will let you out of your contract. I agreed and then went through the steps.

Brings us to today.

Jumped online to the chat support, explained that I had a message to give to the retentions team regarding my account, and then she asked for the message. Od seeing as she hadnt even confirmed that I was even a customer. Anyway the conversation is below;

Victoria,  

Hi, this is Victoria from the Broadband & NBN Team, welcome to Optus LiveChat.

Hello! 
How can I help you today?

You,  

Hello, I have a message to pass to the retention team regarding my account

When your ready

Victoria,  

Please help me with the message, so that I can pass that on.

You,  

Do you wanna I.D me first. Or do you know who your talking to? How can you even confirm im a real customer. That just tells me you have no intention on doing the task. Supervisor Please

Victoria,  

I'll definitely check on the account details.

Could you please fill in the slider below for account verification?

Customer information

You,  

After i am transfered to a supervisor. I should not be the one telling you how to do your job

Victoria,  

Please give me 2 minutes, while I have a word with my supervisor.

You,  

And again, the request to be transfered cannot be worded any other way

11:41 AM

Victoria,  

Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.

You,  

That is not what I wanted

Victoria,  

I'll get you connected you to My supervisor

A minute please

You,  

ok

Victoria,  

Thank you.

11:46 AM

You,  

What is it that you are doing that could possibly take almost 10 minutes to get me connected to a supervisor?

Victoria,  

My supervisor is on another call. They'll be with you in next 2 minutes.

You,  

So if thats the case I will wait in a queue. I dont need to be connected with you anymore

And ignoring me will not make this any easier

11:48 AM

You're now chatting with Frank.

Frank,  

Hi, this is Frank here, Victoria's supervisor

You,  

Please confirm you are the supervisor on duty

Frank,  

Can I take your name and also help with your inquiry?

Hi, this is Frank here, Victoria's supervisor

You,  

Now you can get me your supervisor Thanks

I didnt ask for a copy paste job, I asked for confirmation

So your supervisor. Also your employee number as well as Victorias thanks

Zero tolerance for sub standard customer support. Especially text based support where establishing trust is a must

Frank,  

This is the last level you can contact over the chat, if you wish to talk to the manager, then help me with your query, so that I can review and see for which team I need to refer your query

You,  

If you were the supervisor, you would have been monitoring this chat due to the troublesome nature of the customer, and then once transfered, would have read through the chat with the previous consultant and then responded based on the assumed experience

Frank,  

We will not have the access to check your previous conversation until we access your account.

I can see Victoria;s conversation, where you wish to pass on the message to Retention regarding your account 

You,  

0413577882 is my number, A supervisor will call me from the retention team within 24 business hours. It will be then I will identify myself and then relay my intended message. If this does not happen as stated, the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman will be contacted and the request of the whole amount billed to me will be requested in refund due to the complete lack of service provided by Optus and assosiated contractors and employees

Frank,  

Can I have the message that you wish to pass on the Retention team?

You,  

+61413577882 if you need the international number becuase this is not a tech support office on shore

Frank,  

Before we proceed further, are you referring to your mobile OR home phone & Broadband services?

You,  

NBN, I will say no further more.

I get a text back some 45 minutes later from said Frank saying and I quote;

Dear Customer,

Further to todays contact over the chat, we will not be able to arrange a call back since you have not provided account details and not confirmed identification process. If you wish to discuss further, please contact and provide your account details. 

Thanks, Frank.

You could text me without confirming me as a customer but couldnt call me without confirming.

This is the feedback that I left at the end of the chat and I will end this post on this.

Your training guide on text-based support needs to be revised. The customer support is pathetic for a company operating on a large scale in this country. Text based chat sessions are not monitored, and that is obvious because your text-based support representatives are lazy. The whole conversation which had led me to this feedback was a considerable amount of time me instructing her on how to do her job, and then the other times being completely ignored or extremely generic responses. Customer support reps should have their Cut/Copy/Paste functions disabled. It’s gotten to the point where the rep just copies and pastes from generic script and it feels like you are talking to a robot like Siri or Bixby. It seems they really are just filling in the time to get paid and do as little work as possible. This is the last time I sign up to any Optus services. This experience is the worst of all my experiences with Customer support, if you would call it that.

Thanks for the read

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos