Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What’s the point

My internet connection drops out several times a day on a daily basis. I have been calling Optus and they have been raising case tickets since November to no avail.

Each time I speak with Optus (2 or 3 times a week) We have to go through the same troubleshoot steps, check lights, do we have a splitter, try switching the modem off and on again. We have even replaced the modem twice -  what’s that definition of insanity again....

Eventually when Optus tech support exhaust their paint by number troubleshoot steps they will then log a ticket with the NBN - over to the NBN

NBN apparently then ‘monitor’ the connection for a couple of days (according to Optus) then close the ticket with some ‘no fault found’ type comment. Then the cycle continues all over.

Whats the point of all this - until both Optus and the NBN (oh let’s throw Telstra under the bus here too) start to re-employ some of the engineers they have let go, who knew their trade and could carry out a proper fault analysis and restoration, simple faults will continue to take way too long to addressed. Come on Optus - instead of investing in PR, SIP’s, new management initiatives and the TIO collecting stats on complaints to measure service quality, please invest in re-employing some qualified engineers and fix my internet dropouts - hint it’s a bad earth between the DP and termination on-premise. 

9 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: What’s the point

Hey @Ulysses, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I can take a look at your fault tickets and follow up with the team handling the case. Send me your latest reference in a private message along with your account number, full name and DOB. I'll follow up asap. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cheers, there have been lots of tickets raised for this issue, I’ll PM you the latest one.

On another different but not unrelated “what’s the point” theme.... what’s the point of closing tickets first then asking customers if the issue has been resolved?

Ans: I suspect is the ticket resolution SLA. If the problem was not resolved you simply open another ticket and the SLA target resets, masking the time from when the customer first experienced an issue up to when it was actually fixed.

You get what you measure. If we target staff on call resolution this puts focus on closing tickets not fixing the cause. I wonder what the ratio of Incident Mgt. tickets are raised v Problem Mgt. cases and do you even differentiate between the two?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I’ve talked about the quality of technical support and the lack of engineering competencies and how SLA measurement is driving behaviour- how about a crack at the complaints process... or rather the lack of one.

What large multinational does not have formalised processes? Ans: Optus

why does that matter - Not having adequate processes in place leads to issues being misdirected (especially in large multi faceted companies like Optus) or underlying causes and systemic issues not being addressed.

Why would Optus care wether can deal complaints or not - it’s only the Singtel bottom line that really manners - regulators are pretty toothless (TIO mostly there to collect the stats), and if unhappy customers leave....well more new ones will come if the price is right - so if the penalties and/or the returns are low, where’s the incentive (what’s the point) of investing in improvements to customer service, complaint handling etc.

I can see why Optus have simply outsourced complaint handling to the TIO.

.... and what’s the point of going to the TIO - I’m thinking not a lot there too really, but they do collect numbers for the government to hide or publish depending on their agenda.

I’ll give the Optus complaints process a what’s the point rating of - half empty 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm ‘what’s the point’ of making appointments for an engineer to come to site only to cancel?

if like me this has happened to you on more than one occasion then here’s some lowdown...

Essentially there are three parties involved in the process. There's Optus as your ISP, NBNco the wholesaler and NBNco's delivery partners who are contracted to go out and do the work.

When Optus make your appointment actually it’s just a provisional booking. If you don’t later receive a text message confirming the appointment then my experience tells me it’s not booked and don’t bother waiting in all day because no one is coming.

Optus aren't notified of the job status until NBN leaves a remark in their ordering/servicing portal. So they can’t tell you if an appointment has been cancelled until then. I have it on good authority that no one at Optus will ever have come across an order where they’ve been advised that the technician may not be able to attend until after the scheduled appointment date. 

So Optus appointments are not appointments as we know it, they are more like a “possible potential maybe perhaps events”

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Ulysses,

We're given a list of available appointments to choose from by NBNco.

The appointment is tentative until we receive a booking confirmation from NBNco.

- ISP reserves a suitable time slot

-The appointment is attached the incident that's been raised

- NBN acknowledges our booking request

- NBN confirm the booking

There's generally a 24-hour gap between the time the order is reserved and booked.

As far as receiving completion/non-completion advise is concerned, it's not something that we're able to confirm until NBNco update the status of the appointment. In most cases, a time stamp is left as soon as the tech arrives on site. If NBN are unable to complete the appointment, we're usually not made aware until the customer comes through and lets us know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep thanks Dan - so basically like I said then...thanks for confirming:-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey Dan, three days in a row now told I had an appointment, waited, and each day no one has turned up - how is that in any way acceptable or excusable.... downright disgraceful behaviour.

so after waiting since November for any clown to turn up and do some basic troubleshoot and especially after 3 consecutive days of no shows I looked in the pit myself and guess what I can see - damaged cable to my house - how do I post pictures here and you’ll see for yourself

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

What’s the point of claiming compensation?

Ok so yesterday I complained to the billing people and they have credited $100 back to my account - result right.... erm no. 

In the insurance industry there’s a basic principle that you can’t make a profit from your loss. In other words you can only expecte to be compensated for your losses and  no more - fair enough.

so let’s look at the $100 again....

I normally work from home. Unfortunately because I have unreliable internet I have to travel 3 hrs each day to the office in the city. Aside from my time there’s petrol, toll roads, vehicle wear/maintenance, parking etc. Do you think 3 months of those additional costs have been covered by a $100 credit? In the mean time Optus expect me to pay the full amount for a their services over that period minus $100 - what a joke

whats the point of compensation again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Happy Birthday to me, happy Birthday to me, happy birthday dear Ulysses, happy birthday to me.

well folks we’re a year on from November last year when I first reported nbn dropout issues and guess what....no surprises I’m still enjoying nbn dropouts. And today as a special birthday treat today I have yet another nbn engineer here trying to fix the problem. My message to everyone- keep banging the drum - one day the bulls$&t will end and they’ll actually start re-employing the engineers they fired so they can start to fix the broken network.

0 Kudos