cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

What is the maximum file size that can be downloaded on the nbn?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: What is the maximum file size that can be downloaded on the nbn?

There is no file size limit on NBN, but if you run into any download limit it would be because of Optus unspecified "fair usage" policy.

How big of a file are you thinking?

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@tonyharAnother problem you will run into is that if the connection drops the download may stop and from then on you are at the mercy of the app you are using and the functionality of the site.

Some apps and sites do NOT support resuming and some do.

For large downloads that are distributed on the internet you are best IMHO to use the P2P  download feature if its available as it will resume and can be scheduled. I use this for Linux ISO file downloads that are in the 2 to 4GB range. I also use this for Raspberry Pi images that are sometimes larger.

For downloads that are large, but do not support P2P downloads I use a download manager that supports resuming, but as I have indicated above this only works on site that support resuming if there is a problem.

An example of another big download is the MS VS2019 community edition V16.8 preview 4 is 2.2GB.

The fair usage policy should not kick in IMHO until you download 100's of GB per month.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

We produce a magazine and our graphic designer has cancer, size of advertisements is 9MB to50MB, quality needs to be 300DPI.We need to send ads to another printer who has a 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

We produce a magazine and our graphic designer has cancer, size of advertisements is 9MB to50MB, quality needs to be 300DPI.We need to send ads to another printer who has a GD available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndrewC1 wrote:

The fair usage policy should not kick in IMHO until you download 100's of GB per month.

Try multiple TB per month. I've downloaded 740 GB so far this month which is nothing unusual.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@tonyhar wrote:

We produce a magazine and our graphic designer has cancer, size of advertisements is 9MB to50MB, quality needs to be 300DPI.We need to send ads to another printer who has a GD available.

As long as you are not trying to sent it via email you'll be fine, as email is not designed for the sending of large files. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"We produce a magazine and our graphic designer has cancer"

Sorry to hear that but not really all that relevant?

You sound like you need to look into ways to transfer large files. Email is often capped at 5Mb or so. There are plenty of ways to share big files. Try Dropbox or a service like SendBigFiles. Essentially you save the file to the internet and send a 1kb link so others can download it whenever they want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, tonyhar,

In addition to what peterdownload posted, there's also the mediafire dot com site.
Here you can upload any file type (not sure about any size restrictions), & then just send the D'L link to whomever you please.
> https://www.mediafire.com/

Just checked & found this...
"10GB for free. Up to 50GB free with bonuses. Store all your photos, audio, and videos."
They have a Pro version if required for a few $$'s per month with one (1) terabyte of storage.

Good luck & stay safe.

(I do not have any affiliation to mediafire. I just use it.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @tonyhar,

We don't have a restriction on the size of the files you can download on our NBN Internet service.  However, I'd suggest reading the Fair Go Policy which has guidelines on acceptable use in terms of data transfer just to be across what you can do and not run into any problems.