Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a bridges tap?

Hi there,

Can anyone please explain to me what is a Bridged Tap in simple terms and what does it do to my NBN Fibre to the node connection as I am getting dropouts?

Thankyou 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: What is a bridges tap?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

As that link mentions, if you have FTTN and are getting dropouts it may be worthwhile ensuring you have a single clean copper line in from the street to the modem. No guarantee but possibly worth getting cabled esp. in an old house or one with several phone outlets.
0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous  BTW as you are already on the NBN you can also apply for an upgrade to a FTTP connection but it is a an expensive process it is several hundred dollars upfront for the quote.

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tigers1719,
FWIW I can't bring myself to make that suggestion. It gives a (brief) false sense of hope IMO. Its $330 to apply and get a quote (That amount will come off your final quote if you go ahead). The quote will however be somewhere between $5,000 and $25,000.

Takeup of the NBN Technology "Choice" program is perhaps 100 premises through Australia? There's a fun article on the Whirlpool group tracking quotes:

https://medium.com/@ants000/the-farce-of-nbns-technology-choice-program-94b05181fd19

I'm hopeful that once the NBN rollout has completed and NBNCo has the resources they will start offering credible batch update options. So instead of making one person at the end of the street pay $25,000 to run a FTTP cable and then everyone else along the way only $1000, they start providing sensible pricing for a group of people.

0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@petergdownload  Re the quote price  I had read  the quote price was more like double the figure you quoted.

I totally agree with your comments on pricing.

There was speculation of an NBN FTTC upgrade program, but in this case it may not be of any use if the fault is the area of responsibility of the property owner.  

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors