cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

What does "Your home is already nbn ready" really mean for existing HFC customers?

I am an existing Optus Broadband and Phone customer, both delivered over the HFC overhead cable. Our area was recently migrated to NBN and I was contacted by Optus to say I can migrate. I contacted Optus via one of their shops to see what was required. I was told that my house was all connected and that all I needed to do was sign a new contract and an Optus technician would attend to install/configure things. I subsequently received mail from them saying "Your home is already nbn ready" , "there's no need for nbn technician to visit" and "You should receive a package in the mail containing an nbn Connection Device". This nbn Connection Device was described as a "self install" item to be installed and configured before the Optus techmician could complete their side of the setup.

The day before the Optus technician was due to arrive I still had not received the nbn Connection Device so contacted Optus Support via Chatline in case the appointment needed to be postponed. During the chat I was told 2 things that totally bewildered me:-

1) Optus, not NBN, send out the nbn Connection Device, and this would only be sent out to me the day the Optus technician was due to arrive. Even if it was magically couriered and turned up before the technician (unlikely?), it obviously could not be guaranteed to be installed and ready in time.

2) When I asked where and to what this self-install box should be connected to (if it turned up in time), I was told that it needed to be plugged into a new wall socket to which the NBN had been wired. I pointed out that I did not have such a wall socket. I was then told that it was my responsibility to get a cabling technician to connect the NBN from outside the house and run cabling and install the required socket, despite Optus's mail saying that "Your home is already nbn ready". As this was the first time that anything about this had been raised to me, it was obviously impossible for me find such a contractor and get the work done before the scheduled arrival of the Optus technician.

The whole process and now been put on hold, with me having serious doubts about whether Optus are really the company to stick with.

In summary, how can Optus claim that "Your home is already nbn ready", when it obviously wasn't, and how can they agree to proceed without informing me what I need to do get the house ready?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: What does "Your home is already nbn ready" really mean for existing HFC customers?

Hey @dandgbynion, I'll try my best to clear up any confusion. 

Optus, not NBN, send out the nbn Connection Device, and this would only be sent out to me the day the Optus technician was due to arrive. Even if it was magically couriered and turned up before the technician (unlikely?), it obviously could not be guaranteed to be installed and ready in time.

It sounds like FTTC (Fibre to the curb) is the NBN access technology being used to connect your area to the NBN Network. I would need to run a service qualification to be completely sure.

Are you certain the communication wasn't referring to the NBN modem? We'll always aim to get your modem out before your installation date. 

When I asked where and to what this self-install box should be connected to (if it turned up in time), I was told that it needed to be plugged into a new wall socket to which the NBN had been wired. I pointed out that I did not have such a wall socket. I was then told that it was my responsibility to get a cabling technician to connect the NBN from outside the house and run cabling and install the required socket

NBN designate service classes to address. The service class of your address corresponds with the existing infrastructure installed at your home. Fibre to the node and Fibre to the Curb utilise your existing copper lead in cables. The wall socket they're referring to might simply be the old wall socket. 

The cut over to NBN Fibre happens at the node that serves your street. If there's no available copper pair, we may charge you a new line installation fee. 

You're welcome to send us a private message. I'll need your full name. DOB, order number and address. We'll see where we're at with this one. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: What does "Your home is already nbn ready" really mean for existing HFC customers?

Hi @dandgbynion,

I think @Dan_C answer is spot on. If you are getting NBN via cable then you will have had a new cable attached to your house (the NBN are not using the existing Optus HFC cables which will be dismantelled in a year or two). Check the NBN Address Checker to determine what technology you are getting (Likely FTTC or FTTN)

Hopefully it is FTTN FTTC as that is the second best option available IMO. It has the benefit of using your existing copper line so as promised there's nothing for a tech to do as you can just plug in the new modem and call customer service if you need any help setting up.

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Did you mean FTTC Peter? Neither should require a tech visit anyway right? Not inside the house anyway given both would use the copper, just at different locations? Or do I need to go and read about FTTC? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

For those following at home.

It was a FTTC connection.

A service class 32

• Available copper pair, not cut-in, NCD required
  • nbn™ will need to connect NCD and copper line to the DPU
  • nbn™ Appointment Required
  • SC32 may incur a new line fee of $300 if the customer does not connect onto the existing line (e.g. New Line Fee). If using the current line, no new fee is applicable

The comms the customer received will have been referring to the Optus supplied modem and not the NCD. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam no no need to go read about FTTC Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for the correction.

Peter Gillespie

Good info @Dan_C As an aside it seems pretty unfair that homes without an existing copper lead in must pay a $200-$300 connection fee. (I realise this is an NBN set fee) but for all NBN HFC homes without a Telstra Cable Lead in they will get it provided for free. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors