cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: We can adjust SagemCom F@st3864 settings - stop treating us like children

Hi GlynR.

Cannot keep up with your posts.

If Optus allowed a BYO modem, like the DSL AC88U that I mentioned earlier, why couldn't Optus allow us to buy, from them,  a preconfigured ata, with our sip info already on it, and keep us locked out with a password, like they do now.

Makes sense, but too much work for them.

What do they achieve when they update the Sage firmware?

If a modem already is NBN compliant with their specs, what is Optus doing when updating the firmware that helps their customers. i.e. US!

Security, and better Voip service.  Don't think so!

Your comments make sense, and I fully agree with them, but, as usual, Optus totally ignores its own customers complaints and suggestions as how to improve their service!

Optus says: 'Like it or lump it!'  

My MP is Labor, so I might give it a go, but I won't hold my breath for a favourable response from Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you feel that way, @Marshy 😞 Off the top off my head our latest firmware update included some security patches and several updates to assist connectivity for Fibre to the Node customers. We've also recently implemented better reporting features to assist us in monitoring and troubleshooting services. Apologies again if you feel that this is limiting your options, however our main priority is to deliver a seamless service via the Optus supplied equipment. As always I'm happy to pass on your feedback though this will be the case for the next foreseeable future. Sam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Sam D

Thanks for your reply.

Optus seems to completely miss, or deliberately ignores, the complaints people have about the supplied Sagemcom modem.

When compared to 'after market' modems and routers, then, well the Sagemcom is absolute rubbish, with crippled features and few options available.

Optus expects us to be thankful for what we are given, but so many people as are asking/begging for something that everyone knows is way better, and will work on the NBN FTTN, as the specs meet the NBN requirements, and they are prepared to pay for them, but Optus still refuses to do anything.

Is Optus saying that the Sagemcom is better than the after market equipment (I hope not, as we all know the answer to that!), and even though it may well work with/on the NBN, it is incompatible with the 'special' Optus equipment that hangs off the Optus end of the NBN? 

I can only hope the' forseeable future' is short, and Optus comes into this centuary, instead of staying in the dark ages.

Re getting my own voip sip info.

In my case, when I applied for my phone number/s 20 years ago, with Telstra, I managed to get my home phone and two mobile numbers, so that they all had the same last six digits. Easy to remember!

When I transfered to Optus, I bought accross all of the numbers with me.

Now, if/when I want to, possibly swap, or try and BYO equipment and use an ata, so that I can use my existing number, still with Optus, Optus refuses to give me MY OWN details.

Why is this? What's the big secret?

Funny. I had my number for 20 years, been with Optus 15 years, yet what happens if I want to take my number with me, should I decide to leave? Does Optus now OWN my number?

No problems when I went from Telstra to Optus, but I know the technology was way different back then.

Isn't technology meant to make things easier?

Marshy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried many of these routes before and basically given up at this point. I have the SagemCom as my modem, not bridged, and an ASUS DSL-AC52U as my main router, with my land line phone plugged into the SagemCom. Everything works fine for what I do with the following setup:

- SagemCom wireless off

- SagemCom IP address 192.168.0.1 (static)

- ASUS WAN IP 192.168.0.2 (static), plugged into a SagemCom LAN port

- ASUS LAN IP 192.168.1.1 (static)

- SagemCom DHCP disabled, ASUS DHCP enabled

- SagemCom DMZ set to 192.168.0.2 (the ASUS router address)

- All other routing stuff managed in ASUS (parental control, QOS, etc.)

Strictly this a double NAT configuration and may not work for some situations but for browsing, email, Netflix, torrents, a Ring doorbell and some other stuff it works fine.

I intend to retire the home phone at some point. Then I will try to get everything working with the ASUS as my modem/router and ditch the SagemCom only to be used to plug back in if there is a fault for Optus to diagnose.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Marshy,

As far as I know you (sorta) own your phone numbers and if you were to change to Telstra or some other ISP you can request the numbers to be transferred.

I was told by TPG that I could NOT keep my number if I went with them to the NBN so I went with Optus who said that I CoULD do this,

After I signed with Optus TPG rang me back to say that they'd made a mistake and that they COULD also allow me to keep my old number,

Originally I was told that my phone number belonged to a different area than where I live and that this was the issue, Now that should no longer be an issue with digital exchanges as you should be able to have any number in any exchange - whether the Telcos allow you to do that or not is a different thing.

I've managed to keep the same home phone number when I was living in Edwardstown, Mitcham, Panorama, Unley, Malvern and Pasadena. I was originally with AAPT for home phone and then that changed to something else before I changed to Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks joneda1 & Glyn R for your replies.

joneda1,

I saw your whirlpool post re DSL AC52U, appears unanswered.

My current setup is from sage, wifi off, to Netgear switch, with everything I have,  connected to switch, including a NAS connected by LAPD.

If I follow your setup, I think I have two options, re ASUS routers, but I think the 88U is more modern and has better wifi than the 52U, but costs more $$$.

1.  RT AC88U, which has 1 wan port, 8 lan ports, with LAPD but no modem.

2.  DSL AC88U, which is not yet released in AU, but is comming. Has 1 wan port,  4 lan ports, VDSL modem, unsure about LAPD.

It looks like all the other specs and features are the same as both are  xxx AC88U, but, like you, if ever I don't need phone, then DSL is the way to go.

I will have to look into the pros and cons re double NAT, as I don't fully understand it yet.

But Optus still gives me the poos with their attitude.

Glyn R.

Understand where you are coming from, so keeping number should not be an issue.

In my case, I did not move, only changed provider.

Thanks guys.

Marshy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Aungsan, joneda1, GlynR and others.

Just to let you know that I just had a 30 minute phone call from Optus as a followup to my TIO complaint.

He said that there was no way that Optus was going to release sip info as, according to him, there are ways that people can cause damage and security issues to the NBN network by having the sip info, as well as allow someone else access to your phone info, and make calls that would be charged to you.

sip info must be pretty powerful stuff!

I told him that most people just want access to the locked modem features that are available on 3rd party routers etc, and still use their phone with Optus.

He said Optus will help configure a 3rd party modem for internet access only, but NO Voip sip info would be given out, for the reasons stated previously.

So, no change from Optus this centuary, at least.

I guess its double NAT, or back to Whirlpool for me.

Marshy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey Marshy! Well this may well be my last post. Said goodbye to Optus and hello to iinet. The modem they send is OPEN. I will use that as a spare. They set up my  Netcomm modem and voip over the phone and sent me all the settings on email. As it is a new modem they contacted Netcomm for the fine tuning. Every thing works spot on with no fuss. I got the 100/40 syncing at 117/45. Speed test was 92/38 this afternoon. The extra I paid makes up for free calls local, national and australian mobiles. All the stress is gone and I am super impressed with their customer service and tech department. 

For your sake I hope Optus changes their attitude and make things easier.

All the best

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Aungsan

Well, I don't know if you will even receive this.

Sorry to see you go, buy under the Optus circumstances, I totally understand your decision.

Who knows, others may follow you out the door.

My contract finishes Jan 18, so my options are still open. I have been looking at SkyMesh, but may now look at iinet as well, seeing as you seem to be happy, so far, with them.

Maybe you could jump onto Whirlpool and post you experiences re Optus and iinet.

I am followin a few forums, but under a different monika.

Try Optus NBN router admin access, using byo router...

If you don't get this, well, enjoy iinet.

Marshy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connected yesterday and the situation has not changed! I will plug their modem back in until I can change ISP. Luckily I foresaw problems (I have been with Optus before) so paid their blodd money to avoid the two year contract. After my 45 minute call to get the VOIP settings and my subsequent complaint to tech support, their supervisor will return my call within two hours (not holding my breath).

Tags (1)