cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: We can adjust SagemCom F@st3864 settings - stop treating us like children

You just posted, as I posted mine, but I have to agree with you, as I too have read this does not work 100%, so will be interested in his reply.

I'm also FTTN, unfortunately.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@joneda1

I am FTTH but the router/modems are the same its just the gateway port thats the point of difference.  if you can change your gateway port to the WAN port it will work.  The sage just thinks its connected to the NTD.     I can confirm it 100 percent works for me as i was in the same boat .. these modem/routers should be used as wheel chocks under my SS

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I understand that if your on FTTN, you use the phone line port,  and if your FTTH, you use the WAN port, for Sage connection, to allow internet access. The phone works with either setup, as I'm currently using Sage with FTTN, with Sage as only device.

I assume:

1 If your FTTN, and use a BYO bridged modem followed by a BYO router, and then connect the Sage WAN port to one of the routers LAN port, Sage as phone only, doesn't work, or so I read on Whirlpool.

OR

2. If your FTTH, and use a BYO router, then connecting the Sages' WAN port to one of the routers LAN port, and still get the phone to work via the Sage phone handset port, is not possible. Again Whirlpool.

Are you saying that this is how yours is connected, ie 2, and the phone still works?

0 Kudos
New Contributor stdeddie
New Contributor

We just signed up with Optus NBN/Home phone bundle about two weeks ago and got the SagemComF@st3864 modem. The activation of the internet was easily done but we didn't have a dial tone on the phone so we have to call Optus to have the phone connected but the technical person told us to wait a little while before we will be able to receive calls from the home phone. After a week we still can't receive calls and our laptop computers are disconnecting from the wifi a number of times so we decided to call Optus again.  The home phone problem was resolved but with the wifi disconnection, the technician told us the modem/router works effectively only up to 10 meters so if we want to improve the wifi connection, we should buy wifi extender etc. We had NBN/home phone bundle with TPG before but we didn't have the same problem because our Voip home phone was connected to the wall phone socket (our house is only 2 years old) so I was able to replace the router that TPG provided us.  I only have a basic knowledge of networking and computers. My enquiry is, will Optus be able to set up the home phone similarly or separately from the modem so I could use my Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router and get the internet speed that we paid for.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You do not say if you are FTTP or FTTN.

Optus don't help you with anything other than what they supply.

I'm FTTN, and I turned off the Sagemcom wifi and then used my own seperate wifi base equipment, and it gave me a much better signal & range.

Your VoIP phone will still work via the Sagemcom.

I assume the R7000 can be configured as a wifi  'access point only', but you will create other problems if you connect any wired devices to it, unless you know a bit about networking, and 'Double NAT' issues.

The Sagemcom is a combined modem & router in one device, with VoIP as well. ie 'All in one' device, and that's why they supply it - cheap and narsty.

For FTTN, you need a modem connected before a Router; but then you have no VoIP phone, as a modem and router do not provide any VoIP functionality at all.

Other equipment is needed for that, and you need 'your' configuration' info for that; and Optus will NOT give it to you.

Great huh!

If your FTTP, then, I believe, you can connect your router directly to your NTD device, but again, no VoIP phone without other equipment.

So NTD to Sage WAN port, and it works, but with crap wifi, unless you disable it, and use your R7000 as your wifi base

If you really want to learn more about Optus and the associated issues with the Sagemcom, then google  'Whirlpool', and read a few of the topics, on their forums, you find about Optus & Sagemcom, and possible work arounds, that can be done.

It has a wealth of information, and worth a read.

You are not the only one Optus annoys.

New Contributor stdeddie
New Contributor

Thanks Marshy for your quick response. I think we have FTTP connection because I only have to connect the router to the NBN box in my garage. There is also a D1, D2 phone line connection on this box where I connected my home phone with TPG.  I am just wandering why Optus didn't connect my phone line like my old provider did so I don't have to use the SagemCom modem. We should have done the research before signing up with Optus, we thought well have a much faster internet connection because we paid extra for it.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From what I have read on Whirlpool, Optus gives everyone the same modem.

For FTTN, use the phone line 'in' port, and for FTTP, use the WAN port.

It makes it easier for them, as they only have to supply one device for either connection type.

I think most providers do the same thing eg Telstra.

Optus, and I think Telstra, do not use the NTD phone ports, so you must use the Sagemcom for your VoIP phone, again-easier for them!

Some other providers allow you to BYO devices, and give you the necessary config info, OR supply you with one preconfigured, so you just 'plug-and-play'.

Unfortunately, both Telstra & Optus, don't allow BYO, and give you a preconfigured one, and won't give you 'your' information which would allow a BYO setup.

That's one of the main gripes with them both.

It's fine for basic use, but if you want more/better options that a BYO router provides, then your 'up s**t creek'. 

Also, having one device makes it easier for their 'Highly Trained Technical Support' people who live in.....??

If you are FTTP, then you should definately be able to get 100/40, or very close to it, if that's what you are paying for.

Yes, you should have done some research, just like I should have, but you could, possibly, cancel you contrasct if it's only just begun, and change providers. 

Whirlpool can help re options

When my contract finishes,  I will be checking my options as well.

Occasional Contributor Fatso
Occasional Contributor

For us, even after numerous arguments with FLOPtus, we've given up on any solution and have informed them that our "solution" is going to be the disconnection of service on the day our contract ends (and 2x mobiles as well)  and commencing contract with another provider for all the services.  

The few workarounds that I'vefound for us on FTTP haven't worked, I have a reasonable knowledge but don't have a uni degree in networking, and I'm just so over FLOPtus, their sh1t "service" and lack of care for customers! 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From what I have read on Whirlpool, it is much easier to BYO router etc, even with Optus, than what is is on FTTN.

Your lucky to have FTTP, with 4 ports, so that you can have two, or more, services up and running at the same time, and just swap to the other, new, provider, and then cancel the other.

Me, I'm FTTN, and don't have that luxury.

Damn Malpractice Tur*balls!!

0 Kudos
New Contributor sydswan
New Contributor

Hi TezzaP, have been reading these posts with great interest and would like to kn ow what an AP is.

Sorry to sound like a dumb bum.

0 Kudos