Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Anarkii
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: We can adjust SagemCom F@st3864 settings - stop treating us like children

Why not just have the VoIP settings available in the 'My Account' section of the Optus site?
The information would still be secure, and would give advanced customers the option to configure our devices to the best we can get. Sure we wont get any security or firmware updates by Optus, but with a decent 3rd party one, we would be getting them both by the manufacturer anyway. 

I, like many of you, would love to buy a decent VDSL modem with VoIP and ditch the Sagecom in a heartbeat. 
Anyway just a suggestion to the moderaters to think about. 

Marshy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

A lot of people have done just that, although it takes a bit of work.

Google it, or look on Whirlpool!

0 Kudos
joneda1
Contributor
Contributor

I've still been forced to stick with the Sagemcom modem for now but I've changed the rest of my setup to use a Sophos XG firewall plugged into the Sagemcom and then all access points and a 24-port switch connected to the LAN side of the Sophos.

With the Sophos XG in bridge mode this is only a single NAT setup but there are two main problems I have:

1. Because the Sagemcom is the device carrying the outside IP address, only it can do DDNS. The Sophos XG firewall has some great DDNS features but it is stuck on an internal IP address so can't use them. Sagemcom only makes paid DynDNS available.

2. There are VPN issues when trying to set up the VPN termination point on the firewall. Actually I need to switch over to gateway mode to make this work but then I will be in definite double NAT territory.

Oh for a bridge mode in that stupid Sagemcom modem. What I'm tempted to do now is:

1. Sagemcom in standard configuration on WAN port 2 of firewall

2. ASUS DSL-AC52U in bridge mode on WAN port 1 of firewall

3. WAN port 1 set to PPPOE, WAN port 2 set to static IP.

4. Firewall normally set to use WAN port 1.

5. If I have to engage Optus for support, just plug phone cable into Sagemcom and switch firewall to WAN port 2. VPN and DDNS are lost while troubleshooting but then back and working once back in the DSL-AC52U.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Marshy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Apparently, the Sage can be put into bridge mode, but it takes a bit of research and can be a pain to do.

Though, No VoIP when bridged.

Or buy a different brand of router, that can be bridged.

0 Kudos
joneda1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, too damn hard to bother but it would be good if I could do it as I've got 3 of them at home now and I could do what I described with one in standard, one in bridged.

I'd like to know if you can put the Sagemcom behind another router and still get the phone to work or does it need to be directly connected to the incoming line. Would NAT in the first router screw up the phone?

0 Kudos
Marshy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Not sure about the NAT side of things, but from what I have read, NO, you cannot put the Sage behind any router and get the phone to work, so, yes, it needs to be first in line for the phone to work.

3; what do you do; collect them?

If you know how to put into Bridge mode, then you probably have all the information you need, and know enough, to get it the way you want.

All you now need is a router, and a VoIP capable phone.

An Optus moderator suggested that I should look at some Whirlpool forums, as they are a great place to find help, and she was right.

joneda1
Contributor
Contributor

I only collect them because Optus sends me a new one about every time there is a line issue and NBN tells them it's the modem (of course it never is because all 3 work fine).

I've spent plenty of time on Whirlpool and bridging the Sagemcom just seems to get harder and harder as Optus closes up the firmware.

I think I'll try as per my previous post and use the ASUS in bridge mode. We're almost at the point where we don't need the landline anyway.

TezzaP
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Im using a TP-link WDR4300 with my sage connected via its wanport into my tplink just for phone.  The Sage dhcp and WIFI  are turned off and in relality just a dumb ATA.  It does allow me to use a fully featured router which ive got an AP connected to it (dhcp off) down the back of my property which gives me full WIFI N  coverage 

0 Kudos
joneda1
Contributor
Contributor

That sounds at odds with what I've read elsewhere but if you've actually got it working that is very handy to know.

Just to confirm what you're saying, your TP-Link connects to the internet, your Sagemcom connects to it and your phone still works on Optus?

Your TP-Link is a router, not a modem - does this mean you're on FTTP? I'm on FTTN so this could be a point of difference for the phone.

Maybe I'll just get off my backside and try for myself - I've got 2 spare Sagemcom modems.

0 Kudos
Marshy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I have read that Optus makes it harder to get info out of it with every firmware update they do, but I have also read that a few people regard getting the latest Sage info a challenge, and they eventually get it, until the next firmware upgrade, and then they start again from scratch.

Bit like a game of 'cat & mouse'.

The results are posted, and some have used it for their own setup, with great success, I believe.

I have also read that a bridged TP-Link TD W9977, an Asus or Netgear router, and a Gigaset IP phone will work, after getting all the necessary passwords and VoIP info from the Sage - 'the fun part'.

I also read that some are waiting for the Asus DSL 88U to be released, then they may try it out.

I will be awaiting their results, with great interest.

0 Kudos