Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: We can adjust SagemCom F@st3864 settings - stop treating us like children

Hi Aungsan.

I nearly fell of my perch, after reading your post!!

I checked the model you now have, so I will be enthuastically waiting for an update from you!

Pleased to read that the Optus tech people were helping you set up an NBN complient modem.

I also rang NetComm and asked a few questions about the NF 17ACV, and they also said it was fully compatible with the NBN FTTN setup, including the Optus setup, so I guess it is now up to Optus to give you the Voip sip information, so that  your setup is complete.

Here's hoping!

I might be going back to B).

If you have 100% sucess, and get this setup, with your home phone connected, to this NetComm -  and get it to work, please post (or PM me), as much info as you can, and I will also go down this route.

My original hope was to bridge the Sagemcrap, and use an ASUS AC88U as my router and wifi base station, and use an ata, via the ASUS, to connect my phone back to Optus, as I believe that when you bridge a modem, that has  Voip functionality built in, then the Voip function no longer works - hence the need for the ata.

I don't know if that setup would actually work, but it sounds good to me, -  if only I could get the necessary info from Optus. (As if!!!)

I also wonder if the setup, above, would work if the NetComm modem was able to be bridged, assuming I was not happy with it.

Well, it looks like 9 people will thank you for life, if they take note of the Optus induced problems you are having.

Oh, Optus, you've done it again!

It appears that the 'moderator'/s have no idea about anything useful, and are just a hinderance when trying to get useful info,  as you bypassed them and spoke to someone who actually knows something.

Well done!!

Awaiting your progress reports!

Marshy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey Marshy! Well I have to conceede here that I gave the Optus team too much credit last time. From my last post, I waited the 24 hours for the return call from the fault team. After 30 hours I checked Google to see if time was measured different in India. At 33 hours I mobiled the number given to me before..on hold for a bit longer. I then surfed over to the web address supplied...waited longer still. The chat chap I finally connected to was kind enough to take my mobile number for a call back. To my surprise I got a call 20 minutes later!

After going through my life story concerning this problem, again for the umteenth time, The lady said, in an Indian accent 'Oh, we don't support third party...' Yet the day before, another Indian, got me jumping through hoops borrowing phones swapping cables etc. He was the one that asked me to leave the modem and put up with no phone for 24 hours at which time he was going to call me to see if there was any joy. Just a ruse I guess knowing there was no way I could track him down with the many call centers in India. Aparently there is more than one Sanjay...who knew??

The TIO is overwhelmed ATM with complaints so for now I'll just suck eggs and be happy that the pineapple up my ass wasn't any bigger.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Aungsan,

I contacted Optus technical support (eventually), earlier today and asked them about help re byo modem and Voip sip info, and the response was that 'we 'should' be able to help you configure a byo modem, but will not give you the Voip sip information you need'.

I told him that what I really wanted to do was bridge the Sage device, so that it just became a 'dumb' modem, and then I could connect my 'better' router to the Sage, and then use an ata, via my 'new' router,  for my phone back to Optus.

He then said that if I switched off my Sage wifi, the Sage just becomes a modem, and I can then connect my 'new' routers' Wan port to the Sage Lan port - problem solved, but after reading heaps of posts and forums, I know that this is not the case, as this setup becomes a 'double nat' which does not work properly.

So that call was a bit of a waste of time, as I would end up with the same senero as I now have, but with a much better modem, with Voip, but unable to be bridged.

I would prefer an ASUS RT88U router in my final setup, plus an ata device, irrespective of the modem I end up using.

Does your NetComm modem work OK on the FTTN NBN?

How are you progressing with your phone sip info from Optus?

Better than me, I hpoe.

>>>>>>

I just read your reply to my previous post.

I guess you answered my question, in that your modem and phone is a no go!

I won't wase my money on a NetComm then.

Hope you luv pineapples!

I too, spoke to the TIO today, and made a complaint about trying to get info from Opless, and they said they would contact Opless, so I will wait and see if I also get a pineapple!

I was connected to Sagemcon support in Aust,  via Opless, and explained my problem in getting any config info from the Sage modem.

I am now waiting for a call back from them, possibly, in the next 48 hours (milennium!)

Or am I going to get another pineapple?

She would not give me her contact number, but she was in Melbourne.

So, where to from here?

Maybe a bridged ASUS, and be greatful for better wireless, and pray for Opless to come to their senses!

Marshy

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Aungsan.

Quick Question:

Did the Opless tech actually help you configure the NetComm modem you have, so that it actually works, ie full working internet, but with no voip?

If the NetComm works, can you put the Sage after it, and then use it for your phone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No mate no resolution at all. I guess Optus is simply waiting for people like me to just leave. Won't make a dent in the big picture but that is the way I see it. Trying to address all the lies has been a pain in the bum, if not costly in my time and mobile calls. It is in the hands of the TIO now. Fortunately I kept all the chat print outs.

Good luck to the rest of you guys with similiar problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the great news!

If ALL the 'people like us' left, then  they might notice that something was wrong.

Makes life without Opless an inviting prospect. I wonder if the big 'T' is any better.

I've already set up a G Mail account, in preperation for moving - to?? OR stay and put up with the Crapcom.

Hopeless, Optus, bloody hopeless!

I too, am waiting for a TIO response.

I still would like to know why Optus will not allow a byo option that so many of its customers want!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you wanted to gave your BYO modem as the main modem and then plug the Sagemcom modem into that modem then the Optus VOIP would probably NOT work. In any event you would have to use port forwarding in your BYO modem to forward all of the tcp/ip ports tht the Optus VOIP uses to the Sagemcom.

The quickest way to find out if it could work is to make the Sagemcom modem the DMZ for the BYO modem and see if the VOIP works and if it does then turn off the DMZ option and forward the nirmal VOIP ports to the Sagemcom and see it it still works. If it does then you have it sorted and if not then you just have to work out WHICH ports the Optus  VOIP uses.

An easier way to achieve something similar us to keep using the Sagemcom as the main router and point it' DMZ to your BYO modem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus did help me configure my own modem. You just allow the modem to run it's own auto configuration but note that you don't need a username or password to log into the internet as you have a dedicated line directly to the DSLAM and it already "KNOWS" who you are. WwWhen I tried logging into the internet using my Optus email username and password it wouldn't work but ince I told the modem that no username or password was required then it connected with no problems. The VOIP didn't work, of course, because Optus will not tell you what you need for that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you require VOIP phones on your Optus supplied NBN then that's fine. Any 3rd party VOIP should work with another modem/router and maybe even with the Sagemcom.

The only issue is that Optus are too bloody minded to give you the VOIP settings for their own system.

It makes no sense to me for them to do this. They say it's for security reasons and/or for them to provide a better VOIP service by being able to easily download firmware updates to the Sagemcom modem.

All they have to do is say, well here are your settings and you are welcome to use a different modem but we WILL NOT support you if you have a different brand of modem connected.

Now, if you DO have a problem then you need to change back to the Sagemcom modem and if that fixes your problem then the problem is your BYO modem. If thate does NOT fix the problem then Optus have to fix it and once they do you can swap your modem back again.

Simple

This should be acceptable to Optus and it should be acceptable to Optus customers. Everybody wins.

However Optus is refusing to play ball and the only way to make them would be via the TIO.

You coukd approach your MP but if they are a Lib/Nat then they probably won't help you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi GlynR

Thanks for your reply.

I have not yet bought my router, as I would like a working solution before I 'splash the cash', and I have been following a number of Whirlpool forums and know that putting Sage second won't work.

I wanted the asus RT-AC88U as my main router, with an ata connected to it for voip, with Sage as modem only, but as Optus is still being pigheaded, this is no longer an option.

Therefore, I think I have only three options:

1. Put up with it.  i.e. status quo. And maybe just buy, and use, the RT-AC88U as my wifi access point. Though, what a waste of features and potential.

2. Wait and see if Optus has a brain snap and allows a BYO solution, as my contract finishes Jan '18.

3. Change provider.  A few forums say SkyMesh looks good, and now does FTTN, but I will have to do further research.

Asus are bring out a DSL AC88U, which has a VDSL modem and is VDSL2 compliant. Unfortunately, NO Voip. Will need an ata. Maybe, this could be used in 3, above, and solve a few problems in one go.

0 Kudos