cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor McFamily
Occasional Contributor

WOW just no care for a nearly 20 yr loyalty now looking for other options to change to NBN

Currently and have had our account phone/internet with optus for almost 20yrs.  We currently have a $29.99 credit a month for our fetch services.  They rang me wanting me to change over to NBN.  After running through it all they suggestd they put me through to the retention team to see if they could transfer my credits to a new service which is going to cost me $50 a month more for the same service I have now and $50 a month more than other providers for the same service.  After being put on hold for 40mins and then the girl spending another 10 mins going through my account she then says she is the wrong department and needs to put me in the phone que for another department.   After finally getting through to them they spend all this time looking at the account history and tell me I can have $10 a month for 6 months and thats it.  I understand that the NBN is costing them more and am happy to pay for the faster speed and for the fetch ultimate pack but not at $143 a month when I currently pay $90 a month for the same sevice and can get it with other providers with NBN100 speed and ultimate fetch pack for $99.   Optus just does not care about customers or about our loyalty over the previous decades.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: WOW just no care for a nearly 20 yr loyalty now looking for other options to change to NBN

Hi

I am interested to know where the $143 a month comes from.  For $99 a month Optus offers unlimited data, 40mbps and a fetch box. You can upgrade to NBN100 giving us 80 Mbps for $129 per month but for normal streaming purposes is not much of an advantage.

I am on the 40mbps plan and perfectly happy with that.

I can see that the current monthly credit you receive will end when you migrate to the NBN but I think you will find all providers who have offered discounts prior to the NBN don't carry these over.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor McFamily
Occasional Contributor

Re: WOW just no care for a nearly 20 yr loyalty now looking for other options to change to NBN

Hi

NBN100 so $129 a month and fetch Ultimate which is equivelant to what we have now another $14 =$143

Our current credits are related to the fetch box not our internet so changing to NBN should have no impact on them coming over to that service.  If they carried them or somesort of loyalty credit across I would stay, but they are not interested in retaining customers.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Its definitely a little harder for HFC cable customers to see the benefits of the NBN. After all we've had NBN speeds for years now. But a big part of the NBN is to spread that speed out to the other 75% of the nation that has never had it. Its also costing $50 billion so yes prices are going up $10-$20 generally (or speeds down to 50Mbps for a similar price point). Ultimately it is a trade off that both governments decided was the way to go.

To be fair to Optus they too have seen a big change and have gone from owning the wires to just renting them from the NBN like everyone else. There are definite underlying costs that they now have to cover that were'nt there before. But one of the great things about the NBN is you can now assess plans from every provider and not just Telstra or Optus to get high speed internet. Optus is leaning heavily on offering content which makes its plans more expensive but you can decide if its right for you.

Some thoughts on your specific:

1) The biggest cost is going 100Mbps. Most houses don't actually need that at the moment so consider dropping to 50Mps for a month and seeing if you notice anything.

2) Are you getting any discount for a Fetch package? Usually you get one free but not sure how that works on the Ultimate. 

3) If you'd like to look around serveral RSPs offer Fetch plans but IMO as you never get to own the box you can end up paying $$ well past its purchase price. A refurbished one at JBHiFi costs a one off $270. Note you then buy packages direct from FetchTV itself.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Yeah, it is a kick going from Optus HFC to NBN HFC. It had been a good ride and did get it cheap on Optus HFC for awhile. To be fair it is not entirely caused by Optus. Moving forward, talk to the upgrade, then the retention team and see if they can give you some discount for the speedpack 4(100mbps) fee. As mentioned above, the 40mbps is not too bad. I was facing the same situation too, I went for the 100mbps, purely because of our usuage and number of concurrent devices we have. 

For the FetchTv, 1 pack is included, depending if you are watch all the channels or not, you might only want to subscribe to 1 or 2 packs, ofcourse when you hit 3 then might as well paying for the $14 to get the ultimate. Good luck

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Saw some videos online on the 5G mobile network on Verizon. Some people are getting over 1100Mbps, could be an altertive to the NBN. However, it is kinda in an indeal envirnment, tests were done close to the nodes and not many users logged on. So congestion is not yet an issue. But the results are promising, not sure what the cost will be. I can see someone go through their entire 200Gb of monthly data in 1 hour. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think user numbers is a big factor for 5G - my understanding is its built to handle many concurrent loads. 

Still pretty dubious on real world performance for a while. Presumably most phones will do 5G in good circumstances and drop back to 4G a lot. Still wait and see.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors