Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor oldaub
Occasional Contributor

WIFI

Hi there,

I have a White Sagemcom modem thingy as supplied by Optus when the NBN was connected. In my humble opinion it's useless.

Prior to the NBN (Previously OPTUS Cable) I had an average WIFI speed at my two PVRs (different rooms of the house) at around 50mbps Down and 47Mbps up.

Since the NBN which is clocking a great speed of 97Mbps on the PC, the very best WIFI I've recorded is 28.4 Mbps at each location.

Q. Is there another device that can come close to the speed on the PC?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: WIFI

Heya @oldaub, thanks for getting in touch!

We've supplied you with our standard single band Sagemcom F@st 3864 with router. As far as your other options are concerned, we do have an upgraded dual band modem with A.C

Roughly how far as the PVR's from your modem? 802.11ac WiFi is typically 3 times faster than its predecessor 802.11n.

A.C WiFi does perform better at short distances, therefore if you're PVR's are located at a reasonable distance from the modem, you mightn't notice much of an improvement.

Failing that, you do have the option to purchase your own NBN compatible modem. The one drawback of using a BYO modem is that it wouldn't be able to support an Optus VOIP service. The landline would still need to be plugged into the phone port of your Optus supplied modem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yes, but you'll need to spend some money. Some questions first:

1. What NBN technology type are you on? FTTP, FTTN, FTTB etc?

2. Do you use the home phone service included in Optus' NBN bundles

Basically you'd need to purchase a third party router to either hook directly into the NBN (only for FTTP) or to bridge your optus modem to. There's a few options available to you but my recommendation would be the ASUS RT-AC68U

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan C,

Thanks for getting back to me. You’ll have to be gentle with me. I’m 73 and getting my head around some of this stuff is a challenge.

The furthest PVR is 15m, the other is 10. When the NBN was installed the lovely young guy who did it also installed a black box thingy made by ARRIS. I called Optus and queried why I had two devices. The rather rude person at the other end suggested that I was mistaken and insisted that there should only be one. Further to this I was asked why I’d bought the second one. One was posted to me well prior to the NBN coming to my street and the other was supplied by the technician.

The NBN has been a backwards step for me. Slower WIFI, loss of my landline phone in the kitchen and now my back to base security connection and the only remaining phone is dead.

I guess my options are to have someone put an Ethernet cable(s) under the house or buy a proper modem or more drastically see if another provider can see me right.

Regards

Aub

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam, Thanks for your response. How do I find out what NBN technology I’m on?

My home phone is only used for the back to base home security. However, the phone line died yesterday and the security technician will be here soon.

I will keep you posted on how this goes. They mentioned something about having to run a cable from the modem directly to the alarm control box.

It is very disappointing that the NBN has not delivered and all I’ve ended up with is a PC that’s a lot faster (hardly ever use it) WIFI that’s slower and the potential of having to spend money on a new modem and perhaps a work around for the security system.

GRRRR

Regards

Aub

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Hi Aub,

Unfortunately there's a lot of people in the same position as yourself since the NBN began rolling out. In my opinion the NBN should take a lot of the blame (their technology choices in particular as well as their poor organisation and communication) as should the likes Optus, Telstra etc (mainly due to poor training for staff which results in poor information being provided at the point of sale, like how your back to base alarm will stop working along with your home phone). 

To your point though, you provided just enough info to show you're on the NBN HFC (hybrid fybre coaxil) technology which I gathered from the black box the NBN technician installed. Just to answer the question your Optus rep failed to do, the black box is your NTD or network termination device. It essentially receives the internet signal from the NBN and passes it onto the Optus modem to then be sent around your home via it's WiFi signal. 

Now as for a solution, you have 3 options the way that I see it. 

1. You could look at upgrading to the modem that Dan has mentioned above. I'd look into this option if you could get Optus to give it to you for free. No harm in trying it if there's no cost right?

2. You can ditch the homephone all together but that would result in you either ditching the alarm, ditching the back to base part of the alarm (as in you'd still have an alarm system but no one would monitor it so you wouldn't know if it was going off) or your alarm company could upgrade it to one with a SIM card in it which would mean it no longer needs a landline. The perk with ditching the phone is that you could also ditch the Optus modem and plug straight into the black box with a high performance router which would provide you with some great WiFi speeds and stability.

3. Similar to option 2, you could still purchase a new router to improve your speeds but instead plug it into the Optus modem, not the black box. This would allow you to keep the home phone and improve your WiFi signal but would mean you now have 3 devices running instead of 2 which wouldn't look great and also add to your electricity bill (although not significantly I wouldn't think).

I understand that's a lot of information so sing out if any of it doesn't make sense or you want more clarification. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam,

Again, thanks for the reply. The technician from the security company has got the landline working. Apparently I hadn’t left the modem switched off long enough when I reset it yesterday. I was doing about the only thing I knew to try to get it working again. 

It had dropped out for no reason.

I will now look at the options you mentioned. The technician did say that permanent cabling under the house would greatly improve the performance and reliability of the PVRs.

Again, many thanks and I’ll keep you posted. 

Regards

Aub

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Wow you must have a great AP prior to NBN to get 47Mbps UP, what type of internet connection do you have to get that speed? 

If your old AP can provide that speed then have you try plug it back in and use it as your modem or router? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you to contributors,

Although my general concern of the slow WIFI hasn’t been resolved, at least having a wire running from the modem to my PVR has made the connection fast and reliable. 94 Mbps at both PVRs. 

Also the tech who did the wiring moved the modem from the Optus recommended position (On a vertical surface on the side of the desk just below my PC) to a position 2 metres to the other side of the desk. This hasn’t made any difference to speed but the signal doesn’t falter now. 

Again in many thanks 

Regards

Aub

0 Kudos