cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Ed17
New Contributor

Voicemail Message Waiting Indicator not working

Since switching from Optus ADSL to Optus NBN (HFC variant), the Message Waiting Indicator feature of Voicemail no longer works, even though I have selected Message Waiting Indicator in User Options.

So now, the only way to know if there is a message is to dial *96 and listen to the recorded Optus voice, whereas previously the stuttering dial tone (i.e., the Message Waiting Indicator) immediately alerted you there was a message without having to dial anything.

A call to Optus did not help. Optus passed the buck to the phone's manufacturer, Vtech, who said it's an Optus problem, with which I agree.

Other people on the forum seem to have had the same problem, but I haven't seen an answer that works for me yet.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor Yahhump
Contributor

Re: Voicemail Message Waiting Indicator not working

Some phones do a weird thing on NBN where they don't have a dial tone when you pick up the phone, if you're not in that boat then it's not your phone and I'd suggest you call Optus again. The message waiting indicator can be reset, your voicemail box can be deleted and recreated, those 2 things should definitely be tried
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ed17
New Contributor

I get a dial tone after pressing the Talk On button, as was the case with ADSL. Have tried turning MWI and Voicemail off and on again, but so far nothing has worked.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Ed17,

Could this be the issue? From our online help and support page: Voicemail Troubleshooting - Fixed Phone

I have messages, but the message waiting indicator or 'stutter' dial tone hasn't notified me

1. Someone else may have listened to or deleted the voicemail messages
  2. The notification setting 'Call Me' has been turned on. 'Call Me' is not compatible with Home Phone voicemail.
    To turn it off, go to the Main Menu (Option 8), then to the Notification menu (Option 7) and select 'SMS Me'.
    Sounds wrong, but this is the default setting for Home voicemail and ensures that you're notified when you have new voicemail

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ed17
New Contributor

Hi Ray_YC

No, someone else cannot have listened to/deleted messages.

The User Options Menu (Option 😎 is a little different to what you describe. Perhaps they've changed it recently. After pressing 8, you then press 3 to select your message notification type. The Voice informs you what is currently selected (Message Waiting Indicator in my case) and then gives you the option of changing it by pressing either 1 for Call Me or 3 for Message Waiting Indicator, at which point I again selected Message Waiting Indicator.

So it's still not working, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmmm okay, not sure what it could be.

When you spoke to Optus, do you know what area it was? You may have better luck messaging the Technical Support team directly.

I'll notify our Help and Support team to check that the information on that troubleshooting page is still accurate. Thank you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos